Looking For Some Valuation Help
(02-02-2018, 05:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: Earlier vintages have a cast yoke; the two piece stamped steel yoke indicate a later model vintage; of course, you want the articulating lever cap; those are the features in MF planes that indicate higher value, which are generally a tad lower than Stanley, don't ask me why, as they are the equal or in some cases (especially in late model planes) superior to Stanley planes, but that's the market.

So do you think they are type#2 planes-second go around? As in planes made from roughly 1949 to 1953?
(02-02-2018, 06:42 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: So do you think they are type#2 planes-second go around? As in planes made from roughly 1949 to 1953?

I have no idea; pics I saw don't let me see what is important; but these characteristics are those of the "premium" level of MF planes; and again, the market judges their worth under that of comparable Stanleys.  But it is possible that a MF cognoscenti might get a puptent in his Wranglers over those with these characteristics in an Ebay auction.  

OP: if you do go ebay, make sure to take and post a lot of pics, as the details matter.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
if you put them on ebay, clean them off and take better pictures.  Otherwise you are costing yourself money. Just take a damp cloth and wipe off the dust.

I used to put my items on ebay for $1, but my recent auctions I would just as soon keep the items as give them away.   Something I don't care much about, I moved on to listing them for what it would cost me to ship and then having free shipping. I don't remember any bitterness over selling something for a dollar.  It really depends on if I think I'm going to get more than one bidder.  If one bidder is a possibility, I list for the least that I want and have a buy it now for my dream price.
These planes have little demand. Value is pretty irrelevant. I would use them for trade goods in retuern for something you want/need. A set of auger bits, a hand drill, etc. You may want to consider passing them forward to a young hand tool woodworker. You will make a new friend and that's a pretty good reward in my book.
(02-03-2018, 05:08 PM)Gentleman Jim Wrote: These planes have little demand. Value is pretty irrelevant. I would use them for trade goods in retuern for something you want/need. A set of auger bits, a hand drill, etc. You may want to consider passing them forward to a young hand tool woodworker. You will make a new friend and that's a pretty good reward in my book.

I appreciate all of the different perspectives folks.  I found sometype study info and a quick look indicates the planes may be somewhere between a type 1 anbd 2.  I'm basing that on the cast in Miiller Falls around the knob, the model # engraved on the left cheek (versus cast in the base) and the ridged knob base.  I need to check a few other things abd get some more detailed pictures - right now time is my hurdle. 
Smile

Keep the info coming.

Rick
Rick

Put them in the classified section here for $100 - $125 as a package deal. They'll go. If not, relist them for less. You'll be sorry you ever sold them though. Handplanes are like heroin.

carl
Rick_B, can you post a photo of the 3 lever caps on the Millers Falls bench planes? I'm curious about the condition of the plating.
Smile
(02-05-2018, 02:04 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Rick_B, can you post a photo of the 3 lever caps on the Millers Falls bench planes? I'm curious about the condition of the plating.
Smile

Here ya go Rick.  Let me know if there is something more specific you would like to see and what your thoughts are regarding condition.

Rick

(02-06-2018, 01:37 PM)Rick_B Wrote: Here ya go Rick.  Let me know if there is something more specific you would like to see and what your thoughts are regarding condition.

Worn, but decent shape, like most of mine. Those 3 MF planes would make first rate users, as good as about anything out there with a little fettling. The only planes I have that I like more than my Millers Falls are my Lie-Nielsen's.

Have you decided their fate yet?
(02-07-2018, 02:24 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Worn, but decent shape, like most of mine. Those 3 MF planes would make first rate users, as good as about anything out there with a little fettling. The only planes I have that I like more than my Millers Falls are my Lie-Nielsen's.

Have you decided their fate yet?

Not yet Rick - I want to find some tome to do alittle clean up on them and some internet research regarding value.  Seems like value ois all over the ball park so I want to see if I can get to a reasonable value.
Rick