Looking For Some Valuation Help
Good evening folks - in my never ending shop clean up I came across some hand planes that I haven't touched in at least ten years.  I don't believe I will ever seriously venture down the hand tool road soi I'm thinking of selling these.  I am keeping a LV shoulder plane, LV block plane, a Craftsman plane and some scrapers - just in case
Smile

I have no idea what the value of these planes may be and I realize it will be hard for anyone to tell  me much without some further information but everything has to start somewhere.

The first three on the right are all Miller Falls with corrugated soles.  Length is 18", 14" and 9".  The japanning (?) is in very good condition.

Next is a stanley 220 block plane, followed by another stanley block plane with no number and a Great Neck block plane.

All are in need of some clean with rust but no pitting on the sides.  The Stanley with no number is in the worst condition with regard to rust.

I'm looking for a ball park number - if I decide to sell them I want to make sure I don't get seriously ripped off.  I'm not expecting to retire form selling these - oops I'm already retired :
Smile but like I said I don't want to sell something for $10 that has a $30 value.

Thanks for any advice you can offer and feel free to let me know if there is additional information that may help.
Rick

Based on your thoughts you may consider putting them on that auction site for 7 day no reserve auctions. Start them at $9.95 and they will end where they end. That will let you know what they are truly worth. Just a thought.

We tried that auction site a couple years ago for some items we wanted to sell. Lots of people said start at $1.00. We did and the first one sold for a dollar. It was worth $20.00. Had it labeled correctly etc, and the comps made it sound like it was worth a lot more. We start a little closer to our wanted price now. Could have been just bad luck, but it was all the luck we had.
Go to that auction site and search for each plane individually, then on the left hand side you can modify your search to only show solds and closed auctions. The results with green numbers are solds, don't forget to add shipping since the buyer includes that in their valuation. Then compare the condition your planes are in with those that are similar and that should get you in the ballpark. As an additional step you can search this site in the SnS for millers falls planes and see what comes up. That will assist in validating your potential pricing. Then post those planes in Sns on this site with your asking price. If you don't get a response, then lower your price, or put them up on that auction site instead. Don't forget to turn on your Private Message capability. Good luck.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(01-31-2018, 08:15 PM)toolmiser Wrote: We tried that auction site a couple years ago for some items we wanted to sell.  Lots of people said start at $1.00.  We did and the first one sold for a dollar.  It was worth $20.00.  Had it labeled correctly etc, and the comps made it sound like it was worth a lot more.  We start a little closer to our wanted price now.  Could have been just bad luck, but it was all the luck we had.

Well, it IS an auction, and those things happen. The first requirement is at least two bidders. I have sold tools at auction since the last century and have done well at it but sometimes those two bidders do not emerge. Right now I have a Butcher chisel that has a single .99 cent bid and may sell for that. Or it may go for more. It will all work out in the end because I have lots of things to sell and can lose money on something and make it up on something else. The beauty of the auction is that it helps you clean out your shop. Good luck selling your planes. They are in nice condition and need to be in somebody's shop making shavings.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Watch the classified section here and see what prices are going for and compare the condition of what’s selling to what you have and go from there.

I have the same jointer plane and paid 35.00 but I realize it was a bargain. You could probably get 65-75 but I’m far from an expert.
Don
The value on the MF planes will vary depending on vintage. There should be a model number etched in the left cheek. A 9 is worth more (generally) than a 900. Pictures from the front will help us help you, but an "advanced search" using "completed listings" on the auction site will tell you what each model is selling for there. Good luck.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(02-01-2018, 11:30 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: The value on the  MF planes will vary depending on vintage. There should be a model number etched in the left cheek. A 9 is worth more (generally) than a 900. Pictures from the front will help us help you, but an "advanced search" using "completed listings" on the auction site will tell you what each model is selling for there. Good luck.

I believe they're pre-war. Red frog with brass adjustment knob plus longer horn on top of tote. I think that's what I'm seeing anyway. They're good planes and look to be in good shape.
Smile
(02-02-2018, 12:17 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: I believe they're pre-war. Red frog with brass adjustment knob plus longer horn on top of tote. I think that's what I'm seeing anyway. They're good planes and look to be in good shape.
Smile

Earlier vintages have a cast yoke; the two piece stamped steel yoke indicate a later model vintage; of course, you want the articulating lever cap; those are the features in MF planes that indicate higher value, which are generally a tad lower than Stanley, don't ask me why, as they are the equal or in some cases (especially in late model planes) superior to Stanley planes, but that's the market.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Ok, I’ll take a stab at the values of these planes. This is priced to sell at fair prices and not “for sale” for months on end. The truth is your block planes are nothing highly sought after. They are $5-15 planes if you want to sell them. The model with the adjustable mouth may be a $20-25 plane. Decent adjustable mouth block planes show up on this forum in the $25-30 range. The older black Stanley block planes typically command higher selling values than the later navy blue models.

The MF planes, although quality users, are typically less sought after than their Stanley equivalents. The smaller smoother and mid sized jack are $25-35 planes depending on the specifics. The bigger fore plane is probably a $30-40 plane. If these were my planes and I got over $100 for the group of MF’s I’d consider myself doing very well if they weren’t fettled or sharpened. The 2 non adjustable mouth block planes can be bought all day long for $5 each at used venues. If I were buying these planes in person at a used venue the prices would be much much less. That’s the hard truth about old tool “values”.....