Outfeed table design help, T-track vs Dog Holes
I am upgrading my outfeed table.  Currently I am using my dedicated workbench base which has a door for a top as my workbench and outfeed table.  This new table will be a dedicated table for outfeed and assembly only, as my next project will be a Roubo top for my dedicated workbench.  

I have purchased the plans and have cut out the pieces for the "Paulk Workbench II", which is 3'x6'.  I am still mulling over the details of the supporting cabinets but want to figure out the top now so I can finish it.  The designs call for a series of 20mm dog holes 4" on center with one extra set at 2" near the edge.  I like this idea but also like what i see on T-track based assembly tables.  

My questions are what is the pros and cons of T-track vs Dog holes?

20mm dog holes or 3/4"?

Any recommendations for a hybrid T-track Dog Hole assembly design?

Attached is a photo of this bench in use.  Similar to how I plan on doing it.

Attached Files Image(s)

A carpenter's house is never done.
I like 3/4" holes; wish I had used 4" on center vs. 6"  The T-track may be handier on the assembly table, since you are building a separate workbench.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I'm more of a fan of using tracks.  They're much more versatile i.e, infinite setup options.  Also, if you use your bench like most, you're not only using it for woodworking (holding things down, etc.)  There are times I use mine as a platform for repairing small items with even smaller parts.  All those holes are just places to lose stuff like small screws etc.  Although you could add a cover piece like 1/8" hardboard.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

It all depends on how you work and how many attachments you want to buy. Half a dozen of one, six of the other.
(02-02-2018, 08:01 PM)Mike77 Wrote: It all depends on how you work and how many attachments you want to buy. Half a dozen of one, six of the other.

I have a bunch of stuff for T-track, and a few dogs.  If I choose to go with 20mm dog holes the dogs i have will be useless but i can buy and use the new fangled dog accessories.  Here is what I have drawn up so far.  I will probably lay it out and only drill the dogs at first and add the T-tracks as needed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-02-2018, 10:33 PM)photobug Wrote: I have a bunch of stuff for T-track, and a few dogs.  If I choose to go with 20mm dog holes the dogs i have will be useless but i can buy and use the new fangled dog accessories.  Here is what I have drawn up so far.  I will probably lay it out and only drill the dogs at first and add the T-tracks as needed.

I am of the opinion, that if you use mostly electric tools, you have many more options with track. There won't be as much torque on the hold downs and clamps and all you need to do is secure the work piece and the tool does much of the work. For hand tools you put a lot more pressure on the stuff. Hold fasts are great for moxon vises, they need dog holes. You pry and pull more with hand tools and track is only held down by screws and the clamps are only held by the thickness of the aluminum on the top of the track. So for a thick hardwood top, dog holes. 

I like your hybrid design. You can use festool clamps on dogholes on mdf. 20 mm and 3/4" are almost identical isn't it? I would stick with what is universal. More options.
(02-02-2018, 11:11 PM)Mike77 Wrote: I am of the opinion, that if you use mostly electric tools, you have many more options with track. There won't be as much torque on the hold downs and clamps and all you need to do is secure the work piece and the tool does much of the work. For hand tools you put a lot more pressure on the stuff.

This will be one of 3 benches in the shop.  It's primary goal will be as an assembly table.  I want a big flat stable surface with lots of clamping and gluing options.  The only reason it is not put it together yet is I don't have a building surface like it to build it to ensure a truly flat glue up of this panel.  I really want this flat.

My goal is to have this benchtop on a set of cabinets with drawers to store a compressor, glue and clamping stuff.  I also want it detachable so I can set it up on lowered sawhorses for cabinet carcasses.  I hate working on large cabinets on high cabinets.
Assuming you do a great job laying out the dog holes, you can quickly peg a square (90*) and 45*.  This is a big plus for some electric tool work.  It may help in assembly in keeping items aligned during glue-up, but like others stated, I like the idea of T track better for assembly.

A hybrid table makes sense.  That will provide some peg holes for quicker alignment and t-track for clamping.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(02-01-2018, 01:06 PM)photobug Wrote: I am upgrading my outfeed table.  Currently I am using my dedicated workbench base which has a door for a top as my workbench and outfeed table.  This new table will be a dedicated table for outfeed and assembly only, as my next project will be a Roubo top for my dedicated workbench.  

I have purchased the plans and have cut out the pieces for the "Paulk Workbench II", which is 3'x6'.  I am still mulling over the details of the supporting cabinets but want to figure out the top now so I can finish it.  The designs call for a series of 20mm dog holes 4" on center with one extra set at 2" near the edge.  I like this idea but also like what i see on T-track based assembly tables.  

My questions are what is the pros and cons of T-track vs Dog holes?

20mm dog holes or 3/4"?

Any recommendations for a hybrid T-track Dog Hole assembly design?

Attached is a photo of this bench in use.  Similar to how I plan on doing it.

Don't know what your budget is, but these hold downs from Lee Valley seem to be quite versatile, albeit pricey. I have yet to build an assembly table (presently use my WW workbench) but for some reason I don't like the idea of tracks on it. Notice that these hold downs come with a 10" post giving you 8" of clamping capacity; shorter posts can be bought separately for a nominal price. 

I have to admit I'm partial to Lee Valley products because of their outstanding quality and customer service. It also doesn't hurt that Rob Lee posts here occasionally to comment and answer questions, but I digress. 

I bought one some time ago but have not yet drilled the holes in my bench for it.

Doug
Not to be a killjoy, but I'm not a big fan of outfeed tables doubling as a workbench.

Depends on the type of work flow you have , but we rarely rip ever single piece of wood we need at once.