Hybrid Bed Build
The final straw came when my previous bed’s box frame started squeaking every time you even nudged the bed. It was very annoying and we lived with it that way for over a year. Turns out that box spring had broken in several places. We found that out as we were moving it out of the house.

I want to get a new mattress soon to but in the week I have been using this bed I realized it is not all about the mattress when it comes to stabilizing and reducing motion transfer. You these advertisements with glasses of wine and eggs and such but this is a cheapo mattress that used to have pretty bad motion transfer and now has nearly zero. In other words, this bed is much more comfortable as well than my previous set up as well as less noisy. That was not something I set out to improve at all but what a happy bonus it was.

I am now a proponent of solid bed frame design as a larger factor in this than a fancy new mattress. Either way, mattresses eventually have to be changed.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I'm getting ready to break ground on building my dream shop -- one corner car restoration, one corner welding, one corner woodworking tools, one corner for the rest of my "stuff"
Rolleyes

Your bed idea will be printed and given to the design department (also general manager and LOML
Big Grin )  and we'll see what she comes up with.  #1 son has (at age 35 )finally met a young lady who has put settlin' down in his mind
Laugh

Might be some furniture building in my future!  

I love the way it will break down into handy pieces for moving.
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
That looks real nice. You did a great job of matching the boards that went into the headboard.

The only difference I would have considered is moving the two legs at the foot of the bed back about six inches. With my propensity to cut corners, I just know I would stub my toes on those legs as is.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I considered the legs a bit before I went ahead with the build. In the end I decided on what I did with the concession that the frame would be two inches undersized in width and one inch in length. That made the mattress butt out enough to keep my feet away from it.

In the end the size turned out to be nearly perfect for this mattress. Maybe the next on I buy will sit proud of the footprint of the frame top. Either way, I shared your concerns in the beginning and so far I have not stubbed my toe. Knock on wood....or steel...

I considered bending the legs inward towards the middle but then I would have had to do math to figure out the length they needed to be to let the bed sit level. I know I could have welded in the legs inboard on any side or made a bracket to move them fully under the foot end by I chose what I did based on simplicity of construction, smoother lines, and ease of disassembly/assembly.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".