Bleaching wood?
Can I bleach some pine.  Want to get the pure white look to contrast with black walnut.  Looking for info. 

Thanks for your time.
Pete
(02-01-2018, 09:07 PM)peter-m Wrote: Can I bleach some pine.  Want to get the pure white look to contrast with black walnut.  Looking for info. 

Thanks for your time.
Pete

You could buy maple or ash.  If you are buying walnut, these two woods should be cheaper than walnut, try a hardwood supplier  Off the shelf both of these woods will be closer to white.
If you want to try to bleach wood, try using Oxalic Acid, not sure its worth the effort to do this with pine though.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-01-2018, 09:07 PM)peter-m Wrote: Can I bleach some pine.  Want to get the pure white look to contrast with black walnut.  Looking for info. 

Thanks for your time.
Pete

I think if you did bleach the pine to the paleness you want, it would just darken again in time.
Oxalic acid is not a very strong bleach. It will remove stains from wood, but it doesn't do a particularly good job of removing the wood's natural color. Two-part wood bleach (Sodium Hydroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide) is better for removing wood's natural color. The NaOH and H2O2 must be strong concentrations to work well, so it is a dangerous mix. Google is your friend, there are a number of articles and videos on the Internet about using two-part wood bleach.
There was a good article in FWW not too long ago about bleaching with 2 part bleach.  

John
Holly would be a better wood to start with if looking for white. I have even bleached holly to make sure it was pure white. The finish you put on top will determine its color also be aware of that too.
John T.