Non flammable contact cement
I have a small laminate project that will be done in my basement due to tempature in my garage shop Since my furnace and gas water heater are there also I will be using the non flammable contact cement

Anything I should know or watch for?

I have done a few other laminate projects but have always used the original contact cement

All the times I used non flammable contact cement it failed after a few months.  I did installs for a large drug store chain and they tried non flammable on the cabinets and counter tops with in one year I was back reglueing the laminate.  Also we used some on freezer fronts to match the colors and they had to be redone.  as long as you have good ventilation you should be ok.
(02-02-2018, 08:51 AM)fixtureman Wrote: All the times I used non flammable contact cement it failed after a few months.  I did installs for a large drug store chain and they tried non flammable on the cabinets and counter tops with in one year I was back reglueing the laminate.  Also we used some on freezer fronts to match the colors and they had to be redone.  as long as you have good ventilation you should be ok.

When I used non Flammable it failed also. the flammable isn't flammable for all that long, it drops off fast. as long as you start out with flames off and good ventilation for 20 minutes you should be good. be READY BEFORE you open the can.
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I know most of the comments about non flammable talk about how soon it fails, but that's not been my experience (although I've undoubtedly used less of it than others). But I put my RT top together with it probably 14 years ago, and it's still in good shape. I've also used it for PSA veneer, if you put a coat of contact on a surface and then cover it with PSA veneer (I was refacing cabinets) it's there to stay. I've not had any failures in that case either. Still, I can't deny the more popular opinion...so be aware you may have some re do ahead in the future.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've done shop projects with non-flammable also, haven't had any issues.

Ed
I always used 2 coats wen I used the non-stinky, water based stuff.
One coat always failed, two coats did the job
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

With the non-flammable CC you can't let it dry too long or you will have to re-coat.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
The cabinets and counter tops that I installed came from 3 different companies.
I did a couple of vanity tops with Elmer's WB contact cement about 25 years ago and they were still fine when I removed them in the past couple of years.  They were Formica on particle board.  As someone mentioned, it took 2 coats to get a good glue film, but it normally does with the solvent based stuff, too, at least when I do it. 

For a small project you should consider 3M's rattle can contact cement.  I've used it over the past couple of years.  It's easy to use and works very well for gluing Formica.  Not sure I'd use it for bonding veneer, but for thicker materials it's great.  It is solvent based and does have some residual odor, but I was not concerned about blowing myself up even with the furnace and HW heater about 20 ft away.  

John
(02-02-2018, 07:29 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I have a small laminate project that will be done in my basement due to tempature in my garage shop Since my furnace and gas water heater are there also I will be using the non flammable contact cement

Anything I should know or watch for?

I have done a few other laminate projects but have always used the original contact cement

How big is the basement?