I Need To Change My Focus
and start turning art.  I went to a wedding yesterday that was in an art gallery.  I was trying to figure out which brush stroke made it a $12,000 painting.  I think it was supposed to be the sea and sky.
I went to an art gallery in Phoenix one time to kill time at an upscale shopping center while my wife and daughter were shopping.  The owner was willing to pay me $150 for each box I made that she could put small art pieces in.  The box size was about the size of a pencil box.  She needed 300 of them, but I just didn't have the time to commit to it, so I declined.  Once it's tagged as "art", prices can get pretty outrageous.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If read some of the bio’s on some of our famous woodturners will see many started out selling items for as little as $5 before selling theire stuff for big bucks. Some names come to my mind like Bob Stockdale, Ed Moulthrop, Rude Osolnik, that are no longer with us.

Bob maybe more famous for his Stockdale gouge initially made by Jerry Glaser. Bob had several bowls in various art galleries. Ed Moulthrop, made his own tools and noted for his rather large woodturnings. His son and grand son have gone into wood turning all have their pieces in various museums and art galleries.

Try and buy one of Rude Osolnik’s simple wood turned candle sticks. Rude was also a great demonstrater and teacher.

Too big name still with us that have their work in museums and art galleries are John Jordon and David Ellsworth. Of course too many great woodturners to list.

Not so sure getting your woodturnings into a gallery today is that profitable. Most famous turners write books, demonstrate, or sell tools and wood lathes today.

So if want to get rich selling woodturning art good luck to you!
Bill
(02-02-2018, 04:06 PM)Wildwood Wrote: So if want to get rich selling woodturning art good luck to you!

this post was somewhat in jest and more a commentary on art than anything else.    I don't really expect to get rich selling projects.  If I were to break even,  I'd consider that a success.
(02-02-2018, 11:26 AM)crokett™ Wrote: and start turning art.  I went to a wedding yesterday that was in an art gallery.  I was trying to figure out which brush stroke made it a $12,000 painting.  I think it was supposed to be the sea and sky.

I just got done reading a book about Bob Stocksdale and you REALLY should read it.  I just loaded it out and it is called "In search of the perfect bowl" or something very close to that and gave a ton of insight about this subject and how he even sold some stuff very early around 1960's for upwards of $750 to $1000.

It talks of how he tried to buy a $200 piece back but it was selling for $600 imagine.

It was Mike of PVW woodworks who gave the book to me and several others as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Isn't this subject interesting? I think so ! I really believe there is a small difference in bowl quality/difficulty with an art bowl and any other bowl.

I experienced what I call, "The Herd Mentality" when I sold 20 bowls in 5 minutes. Granted, the bowls were priced low... but... If I had paid/planted 3 or 4 people, to cause a fuss and scramble to buy my bowls (at a much higher price)... I think that would be all that was needed to cause the stampede of the "Herd effect". Once ignited, it doesn't seem to fail.

I'm not into deception, and I guess this may be considered a form of deception, but I have little doubt it would work.
I understood that but being a woodturning thread thought would share with you if there is a will there is a way to make money.

Not sure if my link will work but people do and have made a comfortable living turning wood. No it’s not easy but certainly doable. Back when did shows made and lost money doing them but had lots of fun.

https://www.pinterest.com/russellwoodz/w...moulthrop/

There are a lot of artisans selling their crafts and art all over the country that totally support themselves with their work. Takes a lot of work to get established and some business savvy.

If do a woodturning art galleries search think you will be impressed and maybe get some ideas what sells. When started turning Bob Stockdale gouge made by Jerry Glaser sold for only $95 by vendors but check out what Glaser Hitech sells them for today. Selling your items in a gallery or museum meant your reached the top guess it still does! Never turned any thing worthy of a gallery sale but had lot of fun along the way.
Bill