Disaster averted
Shocked 
A few weeks ago I posted a thread asking how long a shop should be warmed up prior to doing glue ups.  So I've left the heat on in my detached shop for the past couple of weeks.  Luckily I have a programmable thermostat or so I thought.    I hadn't been able to get out to the shop for the last couple of days, but left the heat on at a lower temp.  I'm getting ready to go to a meeting in Philly and decided it's probably a waste to keep the heat on for the week I'm going to be gone.  

I go out today to shut down the heater and I noticed that there are icicles on the roof.  It's freaking below zero outside!!!  I opened the shop door to a blast furnace experience.  My air compressor and Hot Dawg heater are running full tilt and the heat is stifling.  I look at the thermostat and it's blank.  I just replaced the batteries when I fired up the heater two weeks ago.  I have an air hose, temporarily run across the ceiling providing air to one of my work benches (2" thick hard maple which has de-laminated in three places).  The air hose is leaking like a sieve which explains the air compressor running.  I have no idea how hot the room was, but I decided to bring a gallon jug of water that I keep in the tool room for cleaning up glue to the house, and it's 117 degrees.  I left the door open to the outside(5 degrees) for 30 min and the heat built up is still keeping it at a very toasty temp.

Lesson learned:  Don't turn on your heat without checking it on a daily basis.  My shop could have gone up in flames!!!
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Holy Cow!!!  It took a lot of heat to get that jug of water to 117 degrees!

You are right, it pays to check the shop.

You may be getting a "thank you note" from your utility company.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-02-2018, 02:18 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Holy Cow!!!  It took a lot of heat to get that jug of water to 117 degrees!

You are right, it pays to check the shop.

You may be getting a "thank you note" from your utility company.
I can tell you it burned through about 75 lbs of propane.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Wow! I check on my shop daily when I'm not using it but never had anything like that happen. Good thing you checked it before leaving town!
You need a good thermostat that doesn't default to a closed relay- perhaps a wifi stat and you can regulate what's going on.
I would say install a thermostat that doesn't require power (ac or dc)....bi-metal switched or mercury switched thermostat just in case.
I would rather lose my shop than the contents some of which are irreplaceable.  Tools that belonged to my stepdad, gifts from friends, handmade planes... 
Rolleyes. Nice catch.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Alarm systems sometimes have the ability to monitor area temperatures.  Mine is set to call the company should the inside temperature be below 40 degrees F.  I suppose they could have warnings should the temp be too high.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
It was surely a good thing that you walked out to shut it down for your trip.

The Nest Drop cam allow you to see inside the shop from your cell phone but it will also display the temperature.  No alarm will be sounded.  I keep an eye on my office with one and since it is 30 miles from my home somentine the temps are really different.  The temp sensor is inside the camera housing so the camera needs to be inside the shop.  You can also subscribe for about $100.00 per year and it records the images from the shop.  Motion will have your cell phone alerted.  Pretty handy.
-------------------------
I married my wife for her looks, just not the ones she has been giving me lately
Glad you dodged a bullet! Might think about unplugging the compressor also.

Doug