Thicker Blade to Reduce Chatter, about all I've got to say about that
Like the "Wordless Workshop" section of the old Popular Science issues...

Chris
Yes! Those are great little planes with less than optimal blades.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Later I did a bit more, maybe some words are in order.

The wood retaining wedge had to be trimmed to fit and this was an iterative process.  ALSO, I found one of the Kanna-plane tuning techniques to be very helpful:  Wetting the blade-back (with oil or spit) and setting it in the plane.   This leaves witness marks on the contact spots of the bed-ramp, allowing the bedding ramp to be lightly chiseled in local spots for a custom fit.  Greatly helpful also for reducing chatter.

This plane, with a 50 degree bedding and a very slight back-bevel on the thick blade, is intended to cut like an HNT Gordon.  But it's not as dense as an HNT Gordon block-plane, so that lack of weight can be felt.    Additionally, my use of an old tapered blade makes it a tad harder to adjust; the blade really doesn't want to retract once it's set in there fairly tight.   Next time, I may use a parallel blade.    All in all, though, pretty fun and also a comfortable block plane for my wide/short "Trump hands".

Chris
Chris