Metal Inlaying
Somewhere on this forum, I got wind of this guy's website, Ted Sokolowski

I bought the DVD on "Metal Inlaying" and it was pretty good ( a bit pricey ) and I ordered two different metal powders he sells.

I'm looking forward to using it. I think it is a very interesting adornment and functional for filling voids.

Has anyone else used such a product? If so, I would be interested to hear your experience with it.
I've used copper and brass. I prefer the look of copper more than brass, Both are hard on HSS tools
(02-03-2018, 02:15 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: Somewhere on this forum, I got wind of this guy's website, Ted Sokolowski

I bought the DVD on "Metal Inlaying" and it was pretty good ( a bit pricey ) and I ordered two different metal powders he sells.

I'm looking forward to using it. I think it is a very interesting adornment and functional for filling voids.

Has anyone else used such a product? If so, I would be interested to hear your experience with it.

I have two of his three DVDs and that is where I learned how and why I do it and tell others of it also.  I did find another site that has some of the powders cheaper then what is sold.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-03-2018, 02:37 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have two of his three DVDs and that is where I learned how and why I do it and tell others of it also.  I did find another site that has some of the powders cheaper then what is sold.

I must of heard about it, through one of your post's Arlin. Tell me how your experience with it is going. It seems that if pockets of non-glued areas happen, that would be a PITA.

Do you have some photos of your use of it? If so, please share.
Smile
I think I do and will look around in the computer basement,,, Just a moment I'll be right back

OK here is some I dug out of the computer box

The first is my first and failed attempt on a platter of which I should have done the outside rim before it was to thin and then got out of round.  Should have started with 1/2" thick or more first and then stopped at 1/4"

[attachment=7912]

The next three is the vase I made for my wife and the roses I made for her also

[attachment=7910]

[attachment=7911]

[attachment=7909]

The others are just what I did and sold

[attachment=7905]

[attachment=7906]

This box I made and the thought behind it was to eliminate expansion and contraction and I save it for 3 years it was always easy to take off so from now on I will do boxes like this again

[attachment=7907]

This last vase was a tried experiment which I did not like and returned it

[attachment=7908]
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(02-04-2018, 02:57 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I think I do and will look around in the computer basement,,, Just a moment I'll be right back

OK here is some I dug out of the computer box

The first is my first and failed attempt on a platter of which I should have done the outside rim before it was to thin and then got out of round.  Should have started with 1/2" thick or more first and then stopped at 1/4"

The next three is the vase I made for my wife and the roses I made for her also

The others are just what I did and sold

This box I made and the thought behind it was to eliminate expansion and contraction and I save it for 3 years it was always easy to take off so from now on I will do boxes like this again

This last vase was a tried experiment which I did not like and returned it

Thank you very much Arlin for taking the time to post all the things you have made.
Cool
(02-05-2018, 05:05 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: Thank you very much Arlin for taking the time to post all the things you have made.
Cool

You are welcome.  There is one thing I learned about doing all of that while on a lathe is this.  It might look faster to do it with the very thin CP that Starbond sells (I do think they have the best and cheapest CA out there and if anyone gets it by the 16oz they save about 4x the price from single bottles and they also send 4 one ounce bottles with the extenders which allow a drop at a time and that is VERY nice for free with the 16oz order) is this. 

I now use epoxy to the powdered metals.  I mix the epoxy and then stir in the metal until it gets like putty and then put it in the cracks or lines or whatever else it is to fill and it comes out much nicer and does not spill off of the object when putting on the lathe.

(02-07-2018, 03:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: You are welcome.  There is one thing I learned about doing all of that while on a lathe is this.  It might look faster to do it with the very thin CP that Starbond sells (I do think they have the best and cheapest CA out there and if anyone gets it by the 16oz they save about 4x the price from single bottles and they also send 4 one ounce bottles with the extenders which allow a drop at a time and that is VERY nice for free with the 16oz order) is this. 

I now use epoxy to the powdered metals.  I mix the epoxy and then stir in the metal until it gets like putty and then put it in the cracks or lines or whatever else it is to fill and it comes out much nicer and does not spill off of the object when putting on the lathe.

Thanks for adding your comments about epoxy usage. AND YES, I can see (without yet doing) the whole operation of using epoxy would be much simpler and easier to apply on non flat surfaces.

I can see that there is going to be a learning curve with this stuff. I've applied it on one bowl already (opportunity presented itself quickly). Later today, I will start cutting my glued up monstrosity.
I did not do any turning last year at all except for a mallet and handle so what I said was from two years ago experience.

That is why I love it here there is always something new to learn from anyone.
Yes