Chisel Handle Material Selection Help
I'm going to have to use that index-card idea next time I make some chisel handles. I love you guys!

Anyhow, any of the species you mention will make excellent chisel handles. HOWEVER, green wood will shrink and distort a bit--and when green wood distorts, handles come loose. So I would go with the driest wood available.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(02-03-2018, 10:57 AM)sawnuts Wrote: I have someone that can turn a few handles for me. I have some nice birds eye Maple (Hard) as well as some green hickory or green hornbeam.

What would be the best species of the three for the handles?

These are socket type chisels so I will need to determine the taper of the socket. I have tried the file card method with mixed results. I also heard of someone stuffing the socket with aluminum foil and then removing it somehow. I wonder it putting a common nail (heard down) in the socket then stuffing with AF and then pulling the nail out with plug would work.

What method have you had success with?

Thanks

Mark
I always use JB Weld to make sure it never falls out...That's more important to me than the type of hardwood I use.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset