Live center stuck
Delta midi lath..46-460..with oneway live center stuck...cannot turn hand wheel at all...was able to pound it out. Hand wheel now turns. Any suggestions on why it happened and how to avoid in future?
(02-03-2018, 05:22 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Delta midi lath..46-460..with oneway live center stuck...cannot turn hand wheel at all...was able to pound it out. Hand wheel now turns. Any suggestions on why it happened and how to avoid in future?

Bill

If the live center ever gets stuck and it is a self ejecting quill I know since I had one for several years just take the knock out rod for the headstock and knock it out no hammer needed.  To fix it advance the quill as far as it can go out and then remove the quill and clean and lub it up and put it back in by pushing it and then turning the wheel on the back of the tailstock and it will engage the threads in the quill and retract it all the rest of the way.

I used to clean the quill every 3 months and on the headstock while it was turning quite fast take a brass brush and hit the threads to clean anything off of them and where it seats.  Also do the ways at the same time and it will always be in great shape.
Looking forward to seeing what you make buddy.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-03-2018, 05:22 PM)Bill Mains Wrote: Delta midi lath..46-460..with oneway live center stuck...cannot turn hand wheel at all...was able to pound it out. Hand wheel now turns. Any suggestions on why it happened and how to avoid in future?

If the hand wheel would not turn in either direction, then it sounds like there might be some chips stuck somewhere in the tailstock that got wedged. That assumes that the threads did not somehow get damaged.

Doing the cleaning exercise that Arlin suggested sounds like a good idea.

While the quill is out, take a flashlight and check out the inside of the tailstock where the quill goes. Clean out any sawdust, chips, or hardened grease that you find in there.

If you are going to use compressed air to clean it out, be sure to wear old clothes and a faceshield. DAMHIKT
Winkgrin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The handwheel on my nearly new Nova jammed just like yours when I put an extension in the tailstock. The extension had a tang on the end that was just small enough to start into the hollow part of the tailstock but big enough to jam into it. The solution, both that time and every time since, was to tap it out with a solid bar through the hollow tailstock. I don't even try to eject it by cranking the handwheel back.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I don't have a hollow tailstock and mine is not self-ejecting. I have wrenches I use on the headstock spindle nuts. I take the open end of one of them and stick it between the tail stock and the center, then crank the handwheel back. A bit of a wiggle with the wrench breaks the center loose.