Disguising small gaps
I too am amazed at some of the shlocky suggestions. Users of hand tools never think twice on these things: a couple swipes with a hand plane removes the problem snipelessly. Less than a minute, no dust collection or hearing protection, no sanding, etc.

I know you can make stuff using only machines, but really, why would you want to?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(02-08-2018, 07:59 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I too am amazed at some of the shlocky suggestions. Users of hand tools never think twice on these things: a couple swipes with a hand plane removes the problem snipelessly. Less than a minute, no dust collection or hearing protection, no sanding, etc.

I know you can make stuff using only machines, but really, why would you want to?

Very true Tom!
(02-08-2018, 07:59 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I too am amazed at some of the shlocky suggestions. Users of hand tools never think twice on these things: a couple swipes with a hand plane removes the problem snipelessly. Less than a minute, no dust collection or hearing protection, no sanding, etc.

I agree on the power of hand tools.  I am building my tools for the exact reasons you have stated and look forward to getting there where I have the tools and skills you describe.  I feel that hand tools are a lot harder to find, tune and the skills required to use them are just as elusive.  The reason hand tool workers can be even more proud of the work they create.

On the other side of the equation, if the OP never broke out his block plane to soften the edges, he would not have had this problem in the first place.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-09-2018, 11:07 AM)photobug Wrote: On the other side of the equation, if the OP never broke out his block plane to soften the edges,  hadn't been ozoning listening to the radio's excellent golden oldies tunes, he would not have had this problem in the first place.

Yes
Laugh
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020