Disguising small gaps
If it'd of been me, I think I'd of opened ii up some with a dremel & a removal bit. Mix some wood glue & saw dust from the project & filled the gap. then ran it thru the surface planer, or drum sander.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
Dremel...sawdust...glue...sand

Speechless.

Simon
(02-05-2018, 09:12 AM)Aram Wrote: Side note for situations like this: Cut two reasonably long scrap pieces. Feed the first one. Once the rollers are engaged, feed your piece, followed by the second scrap. That often solves the snipe problem.

^^^^This is what I do to avoid snipe when the board is already cut to size.
(02-05-2018, 09:12 AM)Aram Wrote: Side note for situations like this: Cut two reasonably long scrap pieces. Feed the first one. Once the rollers are engaged, feed your piece, followed by the second scrap. That often solves the snipe problem.

How does this compare to using a sled for small parts on the thickness planer?
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-07-2018, 12:27 PM)photobug Wrote: How does this compare to using a sled for small parts on the thickness planer?

Same principal. The planer blades are already engaged on the sled/scrap pieces before the workpiece is engaged.
(02-07-2018, 03:15 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Same principal. The planer blades are already engaged on the sled/scrap pieces before the workpiece is engaged.

I have just built the sled but not used it yet.  So it would work better if I put other scraps on the sled ahead of my intended workpiece to begin the blade engagement?
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-07-2018, 03:27 PM)photobug Wrote: I have just built the sled but not used it yet.  So it would work better if I put other scraps on the sled ahead of my intended workpiece to begin the blade engagement?

Depends on how you made your sled. Some people make them where the cutterhead planes the sled as it planes down the workpiece. Basically, if the workpiece is the first thing the cutterhead touches you can put scrapwood in front of it and behind to minimize or eliminate snipe.

Got a picture of your sled?
What gaps?

There ya go.
Wink
(02-07-2018, 06:03 PM)daddo Wrote: What gaps?

There ya go.
Wink

Hahaha!

Seriously, though, you could say that literally now since I fixed the issue. 
Yes
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I'm very surprised no one has mentioned filling the small gaps with shellac burn-in sticks. The sticks come in a kit with a range of colors that can be melted together for a perfect match. And the technique is not hard to learn.

I built a nightstand with a cherry frame and quilted maple drawers. After it was finished I noticed I had somehow dented the cocked beading, that surrounds one of the drawer openings, in one place. I thought of my burn in kit and easily repaired the dent and now I cant find the repair.

If you get a kit be sure and order some burn-in balm, it is well worth the cost.