Yarn Bowl
10" x 5" White Oak Yarn bowl 
Made this for my honey.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great. I think the undercut rim is excellent. I've never understood the slot in the side of yarn bowls. Does anyone know why the slot is there?
I assume that the slot is easier to 'load' the yarn through rather than just a hole drilled in the side of the bowl. Perhaps less friction too. Someone in the knitting forum downstairs might know.

I like the form of this bowl. What did you use to cutting the slot?
(02-04-2018, 01:17 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Looks great. I think the undercut rim is excellent. I've never understood the slot in the side of yarn bowls. Does anyone know why the slot is there?

so you can pull the yarn out without the ball of yarn unravelling.    I made my MIL one a while back.  A couple of her friends have asked where she got it.  I have some walnut that's about the right size for a yarn bowl.  I may make a couple and see if a local shop here will sell them.
That is really neat. I may make one for my daughter. How did you make the slot?
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(02-04-2018, 05:43 PM)sniper Wrote: That is really neat.  I may make one for my daughter.  How did you make the slot?

I've made them with a dremel. I cut them after the turning is finished but before final sanding.
Thank you guys I cut the slot w/ a jig saw and a fine tooth blade, sanded it w/ a dowel wrapped in self sticking sanding paper.
(02-04-2018, 10:23 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Thank you guys I cut the slot w/ a jig saw and a fine tooth blade, sanded it w/ a dowel wrapped in self sticking sanding paper.

Thanks. I was thinking a jigsaw, but wanted to ask in case you had a better way.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper