Grizzly lathe tool rest/banjo question
Question 
I'm sure this subject has been broached before, but I couldn't find it.
Of course my banjo has a 25mm hole, but I can ream it out to accept 1" posts. I want to upgrade the tool rest to something like the Robust comfort rest, but my banjo sits too low. Can I buy a replacement banjo that will fit my 7066 and be tall enough for the tool rest?
I am trying to avoid modifying each Robust rest by welding a longer stem on the original.
By the way, I really like the lathe, but the cast iron rest nicks too easily.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
How much would the existing banjo need to be raised?
(02-04-2018, 03:02 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: How much would the existing banjo need to be raised?

3-4 inches.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Robust makes (or, at least, used to make) rests with 3 different post lengths. Have you checked the Robust website to see if their tallest tool rests would be tall enough for you?

To answer your question, yes, people have bought banjos made for other lathes and swapped out the OEM banjo. It seems like a fair number of folks with the older PM3520's were fond of using Oneway banjos.

Yet another alternative would be doing something like the Jet cantilever banjo extension that someone was posting about recently (when theirs broke). That would give you more height and a bit more flexibility in banjo positioning. It might be easier to make one of those than to ream your current banjo.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I am wondering why you could not just have someone weld some 1" rod onto the tool post to make it longer by whatever you need and a bit more.   Or have one 1" rod that is 5" long with a 1/2" threaded on it and then have all of your tool rests drilled on the bottom 1/2" so all you have to do is thread it on or thread it off and put a new one on.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-04-2018, 02:37 PM)scpapa Wrote: I'm sure this subject has been broached before, but I couldn't find it.
Of course my banjo has a 25mm hole, but I can ream it out to accept 1" posts. I want to upgrade the tool rest to something like the Robust comfort rest, but my banjo sits too low. Can I buy a replacement banjo that will fit my 7066 and be tall enough for the tool rest?
I am trying to avoid modifying each Robust rest by welding a longer stem on the original.

Rick

I must be missing something.  Any banjo will fit if the bed gap is the same, and some rests are made to order for cases where they're not.  http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tmotoresy.html 

If you're nicking the stock rest, it's time to start using a grip (overhand) that holds the tool to the rest. No gap, no nicks, and better cut control to boot.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-04-2018, 02:37 PM)scpapa Wrote: I'm sure this subject has been broached before, but I couldn't find it.

Rick

Rick, people have bought the OneWay banjo, which with the right gap block works.

Robust is very aware of the "short" banjo issue with Grizzly and will make rests for that, we've gotten several that are 8-3/4 tall (which is 3 inches or so taller then their normal post)

BTW, do you know about the "Grizzly Community" (special topic forum) over on Saw Mill Creek, it's just about the large Grizzly lathes
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Thanks for all of the replies. I will contact Robust and take a peek at the forum at SMC.

Rick
MAGA!!