Woodcraft
if you are talking about the busines Giradman linked to, we have one in Raleigh. 4 or 5 years ago, it closed. It re-opened 6 months later in a new location with nearly all the same staff, including the store manager. The story I got was it wasn't run very well. the current owner owns another somewhere else. He waited for it to fail and then bought the franchise rights for much less than if the store were still open. He re-opened basically across the street but was paying 1/3 less to lease the space.
(02-04-2018, 09:16 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Our local woodcraft is really good. Clean, well stocked, stuff I actually want to buy, and a good variety. I guess each owner runs a different ship. 
Yes

Another +1. The one here is great with very knowledgeable employees.
I never had an issue from my local Woodcraft store.  A little on the higher side on some stuff with pricing but they have a knowledgeable staff that seem "passionate" about woodworking and willing to answer any questions you may have.
My only recent experience with Woodcraft is with the store near Columbus OH.  I used to go there once a year, when in the area visiting relatives.  Always had a good experience with the staff and the inventory was all priced.  Never had any complaints with them.  Sure, they don't give anything away, but I've never been in a WW'ing store that was cheap.

Woodcraft recently opened a new store south of Pittsburgh, but I've not had occasion to go there yet.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(02-05-2018, 03:09 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Another +1.  The one here is great with very knowledgeable employees.

+1 for the one in Lenexa, KS (Kansas City metro area).

But I will say that I know which employees specialize in what sort of woodworking so that helps when asking questions.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-04-2018, 08:54 PM)giradman Wrote: Just for clarification - are your talking about the business shown below?  My assumption - Dave
Smile

Yep, that one.  Bought my SawStop and many other things from one closer to me.  The closest one now is 2.5 hours away.  Since I don't go there often, it is not overly important to me.  However, I was surprised.

After reading this thread, what they are doing may not be so far off.

It could be a business model that works for them.  I was shopping while passing through.  I had no particular need.  However, there were people in the store asking lots of questions.  Perhaps they are good sales people who know their clientele well.  They could be using a needs analysis sales tactic (I have been trained in need analysis sales, it works well).  People who shop may be using the internet.  Perhaps people who go to stores need help, and the staff are there to help.  I have been in manufacturing too many years to know how retail sales works today.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Roanoke Va store was like that yesterday. We stopped in on our way home. The store in Oakwood Village, Ohio is the same way. I just feel like they are trying to get over on me with all those scratched off price tags. Well,, unless it's festool or kreg. It's about 1 hour from me & yet we travel the extra 1/2hr to Parkersburg, West Va. Wonderful people & you never have to ask for a price.

I will end this by stating that the Woodcraft HQ is just out the road from this store & I think it's corporate owned but I can't say that part positively.
My local store isn't local any more - I used to live in Springfield, then I moved but still worked in Springfield, and now I neither live nor work in Springfield. There's one in Leesburg that I haven't gone to yet.

The Springfield store, both in its previous location as well as its current, was always well-stocked, clean, well-lit, all of that. The staff weren't sales experts by any means - friendly old woodworkers who were happy to help is more like it. Their prices were good (and everything was clearly priced). They still are very active with classes if the mailer is any indication. I wish it were closer.
Hi everyone,
This is Kevin the new video/social media person at Woodcraft. I want to thank everyone for their patronage and the feedback, we really appreciate it. If you ever have additional comments please reach out to us on social media or by calling customer service. Now onto some concerns. 

Cecil Wrote:However, I was not impressed.  A LOT of the merchandise was not priced.  I don't see how they will stay in business.  There used to be one an hour from my house that closed about 8 years ago, and I have heard of others that closed.  I know they are independently owned.  When this one announces its closing, I will not be surprised. 

I prefer to buy from the local brick and mortar folks, even if it is slightly higher priced (not a lot higher).  However, I did not purchase a single item yesterday.  I like to know the price before I get it to the counter.  My brother mentioned the lack of prices and they handed him a catalog and said "this is the price list."

Cecil, I'm very sorry you had this experience. One of our core values at Woodcraft is customer satisfaction and this is NOT the way to ensure that. If you let me know which store this was I can forward it to the regional manager so that he can take a look. Occasionally there are some large price changes that take a little longer than they should but questions in the mean time should be dealt with politely, not by making you look up your own prices. 

(02-06-2018, 09:05 AM)GlenS Wrote: Roanoke Va store was like that yesterday. We stopped in on our way home. The store in Oakwood Village, Ohio is the same way. I just feel like they are trying to get over on me with all those scratched off price tags. Well,, unless it's festool or kreg. It's about 1 hour from me & yet we travel the extra 1/2hr to Parkersburg, West Va. Wonderful people & you never have to ask for a price.

I will end this by stating that the Woodcraft HQ is just out the road from this store & I think it's corporate owned but I can't say that part positively.

GlenS, thank you for your feedback as well. I have already forwarded this to the regional manager for those stores. We do not want you to feel concerned that you are being taken advantage of when you walk into one of our stores. 

The Parkersburg location is a corporate owned store and it's where we test all of our new store ideas as well. That building is also home to our magazine headquarters.
Wow, good on Woodcraft. Welcome Kevin!