Woot the heck! $30.00 LED fixtures
(02-08-2018, 01:31 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I wouldn't put an LED fixture in anywhere, based on my experience with LED light bulbs.  When the light goes you're replacing the entire fixture.  Maybe I bought the wrong bulbs but 27 months ago when we moved into this house I bought 2 dozen LED bulbs.  I think 3 are still working.

I purchased some Home Depot brand bulbs (Ecosmart).  The box clearly states "Distributed by Home Depot," so I am sticking with calling them Home Depot brand bulbs.  I have had 5 fail in a year.  The box states to go to www.homedepot.com/lightingfacts for warranty info.  However, all I find there is marketing.  I went to the store, and they won't cover me.  If I get time, I will gather all my evidence this weekend and raise some H.

Not one of my Philips bulbs have failed, and I have been using them for probably 5 years (I think I have 6 of those).  I also have some GE at least a year, with zero failures.  6 torchstars since 2016 with no failures.

I would guess you purchased from HD!
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I've never had one fail.  Ok, I just had a disk light fail the first time I turned it on, but HD let me trade that one.  One of the early ones isn't very good in comparison to the new ones, so I swapped it out.  I usually only buy the Phillips, but I have some ecosmart that haven't failed.

The issue with bulbs is that they are taking 120v in and converting it down.  Pretty sure the converters go bad.  I keep thinking we will switch over to dc light circuits sooner or later, but I don't see much evidence of that.
(02-08-2018, 06:46 PM)Cecil Wrote: I purchased some Home Depot brand bulbs (Ecosmart).  The box clearly states "Distributed by Home Depot," so I am sticking with calling them Home Depot brand bulbs.  I have had 5 fail in a year.  The box states to go to www.homedepot.com/lightingfacts for warranty info.  However, all I find there is marketing.  I went to the store, and they won't cover me.  If I get time, I will gather all my evidence this weekend and raise some H.

Not one of my Philips bulbs have failed, and I have been using them for probably 5 years (I think I have 6 of those).  I also have some GE at least a year, with zero failures.  6 torchstars since 2016 with no failures.

It's called "Made in China". [That's who I blame.] I have been using fluorescent screw-in bulbs for incandescent replacement that my father-in-law bought when they first came out. They were USA made.  He died in 2002. They are burning out lately. I'm replacing 30-year LED's after a few months. The Feit incandescents I bought years ago and made in Poland(?) for 130 volt systems go outside and last forever. They advertise them as surge protected for our 120 system.
I had big florescent lights in my kitchen. I've replaced them 3 times in the last 8 years. This last time I bought LED tubes @ $9.00 each and rewired the fixtures. Perfect light. These were shop lights from Big Box @ $14(?). So overall cheaper than the dedicated LED fixtures.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
These are wonderful lights. I feel like I have a skylight in my basement shop when they're on. Almost need to wear some shades
Big Grin. Problem is my basement lights are somehow on the same circuit as my amplified DTV antenna up in the living room. So if someone wants to watch a certain channel when I'm in the shop I have to turn those lights off. Just ordered an AC line filter to plug the antenna into. Hopefully that will fix the interference problem.
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(02-08-2018, 06:46 PM)Cecil Wrote: I purchased some Home Depot brand bulbs (Ecosmart).  The box clearly states "Distributed by Home Depot," so I am sticking with calling them Home Depot brand bulbs.  I have had 5 fail in a year.  The box states to go to www.homedepot.com/lightingfacts for warranty info.  However, all I find there is marketing.  I went to the store, and they won't cover me.  If I get time, I will gather all my evidence this weekend and raise some H.

Make a call to their main customer service 1-800-466-3337.  They took care of sending out a replacement very quickly.  The first one that went out after just 5 weeks into a 5 year warranty I took back to the store and they  replaced it after a argument,  the second one went out 2 weeks later, this one I called the 800 number and in just a few days UPS delivered the replacement.    Roly forgot to add after you press a few key ins it say the store will replace them but just go to talk to customer service. Weekdays only
I picked up a 2 pack of 4' LED tube bulbs from Lowes that fit T8 fixtures. Sale price was 5.99 + tax.
After a couple months their still working and seem to be a little brighter than the old T8 bulbs.
The same bulbs are no longer on sale in 2 packs, but are available in 4 & 16 packs. $ 40 for 16 bulbs isn't much more than what I use to spend on T8's.
My .02
Karl