Assembly with screws
I am planning to build a 10' x 10' cover for my deck. I will be using 4x4 corner post with a 2x10 wrap at the top and 2x6 rafters. I plan to use galvanized brackets and hangers to hold it all together. My question concerns the lag screws. Do I drill a thru hole in the piece being attached and a pilot hole in the piece being attached to? If so, what size holes for #10 lag screws? Thanks, Bob
In softwood you generally go down 2 sizes.  I would drill the outer board just one size smaller, predrill these holes on the ground then clamp into place and drill through the other piece of wood using a two step down sized drill bit.  Sink your first bolt and then go and predrill the rest.

I am not sure what #10 lag screws are.  When I think of lag I think of bolts with square heads in 1/4 or bigger.  I would look at Torx screws in this place.   At size #10 you can just predrill the outer board to prevent splitting, and maybe an inch into the other board.  Once started a Torx screw will drill itself.
A carpenter's house is never done.
You don’t use lag screws on joist hangers. There are special screws that must be used.
VH07V  
I built my deck and nothing was 100% square or vertical.  When I mounted the posts I used through bolts (hot dip galvanized).  This allowed me to shim to plumb.  

My brother-in-law built his deck and he mounted it with lag bolts but when the posts were clearly not plumb, he did as I did.

We both mounted on the 2" x 8" joists.  

I suppose you can shim with lag bolts but it is easier with through bolts.

If your deck is 100% plumb and level ignore this advice.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Based on the "#10 lag screws" I assumed he was talking about fascia detail of the deck.  I agree on Lag Bolts and specialty screws or nails for Simpson Ties.
A carpenter's house is never done.
+1 on the thru bolts.  Use 1/2" carriage bolts. 

Letting the plates into the posts in a rabbet is also something to consider.
Don't quite understand what a "2x10 wrap" is? I would use 2x8's for the rafters just for a little margin (nothing worse than a sagging roof later) and those short stubby galvanized nails in the joist hangers and all other bracketry; they are specifically designed to secure them.

If possible, I would use galvanized through bolts, washers and nuts to secure the framing where possible.

Doug
(02-08-2018, 12:42 AM)Tapper Wrote: Don't quite understand what a "2x10 wrap" is? I would use 2x8's for the rafters just for a little margin (nothing worse than a sagging roof later) and those short stubby galvanized nails in the joist hangers and all other bracketry; they are specifically designed to secure them.

If possible, I would use galvanized through bolts, washers and nuts to secure the framing where possible.

Doug

Wrap 2x10's around the top, outside of the posts.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020