Drawer Slides for Vanity Shelves
I have an upper cabinet which we use as a spice cabinet. I want to put 4 sliding vertical spice racks in it.
The racks are 25" tall, 10" deep, 3 3/4" wide.
Can I put a mini drawer slide on top and one of the bottom of each rack?
The slides say 100 lbs. capacity but I don't know if this is the case since they'll be installed on the top and bottom of the cabinet instead of side to side like a regular drawer. Plus I'm building the racks out of 1/2" cherry lumber and plywood so they're not that heavy including the spice bottles.
What do you guys think?

Eddie
That's how I did ours. Top and bottom 100lb. 12" ball bearing slides from CSHardware
Your fit needs to be right on, height wise. Get past a 1/16" too tall measurement inside your cabinet, and you'll have trouble putting the slides together.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
so you're talking about cantilevering the load from one side of the drawer?  I was just wondering how well that would work. I want to put a narrow drawer next to the stove (under counter vent) and i don't want to build a lot of structure to hold up the second side. I think I have seen 's' brackets to make sure slides are in compression in this application, but I can't find any reference to them

I looked on the accurite web site.  No mention of out of plane load, except they say in an undermount application, the load rating is 25% 

I was thinking about using an undermount slide upside-down on the top.  Or just a regular slide on its side.
(02-06-2018, 04:46 PM)EricU Wrote: so you're talking about cantilevering the load from one side of the drawer? 

Top and bottom.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I made a rack for two rows of turning chisels that is about 18" wide and 36" high. There are 2 BB full extension drawer slides mounted on the back side, at the top and bottom.

The other half of the slide is mounted to the side of the cabinet located at the end of the lathe. The rack is easily assessable when pulled out and works smoothly.
My .02
Karl

Full extension drawer slide are not meant to take lateral loads.

But, you may get away with it on a 12" slide.
the shelves are less than 4" wide, and spices weigh nothing, so there is effectively no out of plane load.  And it seems unlikely that anyone would hang on a drawer like that in a way that would pull it away from the slides.  I think on my drawer, I'm going to put the top slide on an 'L' bracket so the out of plane load is taken up in the way that the slide was designed.