Pressure sensitive veneer
I'm considering using pressure sensitive veneer (hickory) on a small area of a tv stand project for my home rather than buying a full plywood sheet of it.
Is this stuff worth it? Will it last?
Thank you for sharing your experience with this.
Ray
It will. Let me suggest something that will make the adhesive last forever. Put down a coat of contact cement first, let it tack, then apply the PSA veneer. It can be either contact (flammable or non flammable) cement and you need to be fairly well aligned once you apply the veneer. Once it touches, it won't shift or move. I picked this trick up some years ago in a cabinet refacing book, and used it for some refacing I was doing in our home at that time. Of course, using just the PSA adhesive is probably good as well....but the contact cement really locks it down.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I haven't used much PSA veneer, but I've never had any troubles with it.  I refaced kitchen cabinet faceframes with it and have done a few ft sq. areas with it, nothing very large.  My only advise is to make sure whatever you stick it on is really clean.  Fred's advise is extra insurance and worth the effort if in doubt.  

John
Thanks!
Yeah, what I've seen so far recommends using a contact cement to seal the substrate to improve adhesion.
Never having used it before, it just makes me skittish to use a stick on veneer. Kinda silly I suppose. After all I've had no bad experience with laminate. Why would this be different?
Nonetheless, your shared experience gives me some reassurance.
Thanks
Ray
(02-06-2018, 03:11 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Thanks!
Yeah, what I've seen so far recommends using a contact cement to seal the substrate to improve adhesion.
Never having used it before, it just makes me skittish to use a stick on veneer. Kinda silly I suppose. After all I've had no bad experience with laminate. Why would this be different?
Nonetheless, your shared experience gives me some reassurance.
Thanks

I've used it a couple of times with good results.   I found the adhesive very tenacious (be sure to get it in the right position).

I used it to repair fire damage along the sides of a kitchen cabinet from a stove-top grease fire.  The original had some vinyl stick-on.
While I’m sure there are variations with brands and quality I’ve always had good luck with it. I’ve never thought of using contact cement with it as well. Interesting.
-Marc