Shower install, start to finish (almost)
Looking at the photo where you put the red sealer on the curb, did you duroc the curb before you did that?

Its not a problem to put screws through the liner, if you seal them?

That's mighty pretty work. You did good.
(02-07-2018, 03:12 PM)$awdust Wrote: Looking at the photo where you put the red sealer on the curb, did you duroc the curb before you did that?

Its not a problem to put screws through the liner, if you seal them?

That's mighty pretty work. You did good.

This is the can of worms that gets opened on the tile forums. It's their "Dust collector grounding"

The liner itself a nailed inside the shower above the curb height (high waterline) and nailed on the exterior of the curb near the bathroom floor. You can probably see that in the photos. The curb outside, inside and top is wrapped w/ Durock. The top piece goes in last. There is no way to install the inside piece without puncturing the liner so it has screws through it and through the liner. The front piece of Durock is also screwed through the liner. The top edge of the inside piece and outside piece stand proud of the liner on top of the curb. About 1/4" in the inside and about 3/8" in the outside so when you put on the top piece, it slopes towards the shower for run-off. Rule of thumb, 1/4" per foot slope. Then I fill that gap between the inside and outside Durock curb pieces with mortar. Trowel it smooth, make 100% sure it's level side to side and properly sloped towards the shower side and let it set. Once set, I cut the the Durock for the top of the curb, install it with thinset on the cured mortar just like you would with installing a tile.... level it and mesh tape the corners and mud it with thinset and mud over the screw countersinks. So there's no screws in the top of the curb through the liner although I have a hard time believing they'll ever see water with a marble cap over them if I did use them. Then I seal the entire curb, in this shower I used RedGuard with two or three coats and more over the screws.  Once the inside and outside are tiled, I install the marble cap on the curb with thinset before I tiled the sides of the door way so the side doorway tiles come down on top of the curb. The marble top acts as a drip edge because it's sloped 1/4" per ft and protects everything.

Imho, everybody who builds a 2x4 curb is screwing through the liner at least to hold the inside piece of Durock in place and most are probably running screws through the top also.

The only way the screws on the inside of the curb will ever get wet is if the shower floods... I have bigger problems at that point. Even then, I don't see how they would see water with all the sealing.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I poured a concrete curb.
(02-10-2018, 06:43 PM)todayIlearned Wrote: I poured a concrete curb.

That's another option. As long as it sheds water on top of the pan. If it's poured before the pan goes in, sort of negates the whole reason to pour one doesn't it?

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-10-2018, 06:43 PM)todayIlearned Wrote: I poured a concrete curb.

I did mine without a curb..... 
Wink

I bought a linear floor drain and sloped the floor from the door to the inside wall with the drain. Put a Schulter membrane on it and tiled over that.

It works great.

Nice looking install Neil. 
Smile
Yes
chris
(02-11-2018, 11:08 AM)doobes Wrote: I did mine without a curb..... 
Wink

I bought a linear floor drain and sloped the floor from the door to the inside wall with the drain. Put a Schulter membrane on it and tiled over that.

It works great.

Nice looking install Neil. 
Smile
Yes

Thanks.
Those curbless showers scare the bejezzus out of me. The Installer I know makes his customers sign a hold harmless agreement when he outs them in

... Kizar Sosay

(02-11-2018, 05:57 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: That's another option. As long as it sheds water on top of the pan. If it's poured before the pan goes in, sort of negates the whole reason to pour one doesn't it?

I poured the whole pan and curb in one shot and  was 5 inches deep ,then a mudded it to within 3 inches final depth.We have been using it for the last 10 years now no problems that I can see....lol
(02-12-2018, 09:13 AM)todayIlearned Wrote: I poured the whole pan and curb in one shot and  was 5 inches deep ,then a mudded it to within 3 inches final depth.We have been using it for the last 10 years now no problems that I can see....lol

Oh I see. How did you slope the pan? Just troweled it?

... Kizar Sosay

(02-12-2018, 05:24 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Oh I see. How did you slope the pan? Just troweled it?

I troweled the mud... works great,no standing water.
That looks nice. I don't think I can do such work just by myself =.=