Hickory Bowl With A Save
this was the bowl I turned through the bottom of.  My save was to carefully cut a mortise and pour some resin, I'd been wanting to try that anyway.  This was (well is) a wedding gift.  It's 8" diameter and about 2" deep.

Very nice and a great save.
Yes
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(02-06-2018, 10:57 PM)sniper Wrote: Very nice and a great save.
Yes

What Sniper said,beautiful bowl Crokett.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(02-06-2018, 10:29 PM)crokett™ Wrote: this was the bowl I turned through the bottom of.  My save was to carefully cut a mortise and pour some resin, I'd been wanting to try that anyway.  This was (well is) a wedding gift.  It's 8" diameter and about 2" deep.

nice save, like the color ( Blue )
nice bowl. The grain of the hickory really looks nice! great job!
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(02-06-2018, 10:29 PM)crokett™ Wrote: this was the bowl I turned through the bottom of.  My save was to carefully cut a mortise and pour some resin, I'd been wanting to try that anyway.  This was (well is) a wedding gift.  It's 8" diameter and about 2" deep.

Fill looks fine on the bottom, but the stark white knot fill on the R would look nicer, I think, had it been filled dark.  I use bark and CA, some use coffee grounds, which lacks the texture, and looks a bit less "natural", because it is.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-07-2018, 06:52 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Fill looks fine on the bottom, but the stark white knot fill on the R would look nicer, I think, had it been filled dark. 

That's not a fill.  That's how the wood looked.  I considered carving out the light color and filling it but decided to leave it since the tree grew that way.  When I do need to fill, I also use coffee grounds.  For this bowl, I wanted to experiment with resin anyway, and turning through the bottom gave me an excuse.
(02-07-2018, 09:14 AM)crokett™ Wrote: That's not a fill.  That's how the wood looked.  I considered carving out the light color and filling it but decided to leave it since the tree grew that way.  When I do need to fill, I also use coffee grounds.  For this bowl, I wanted to experiment with resin anyway, and turning through the bottom gave me an excuse.

Ah, white rot natural.  I guess I'd still dig it out.  Try some bark with medium CA underneath, not soaked with regular weight, jeopardizing finish adherence.  Looks pretty nice.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I think it came out very nicely.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
As others have said, nice job and great color if Duke fans, not so much if UNC Chapel Hill or NC State fans.