bandsaw blade rubbing
I got to tweaking my tune on the bandsaw after watching a carter products demo video.  In the process I found the blade was rubbing on the plastic guide on the back, opposite of the opening.  Upon examination it looks like the plastic piece is bowed.  I tried to ease the bolts holding the plastic piece and it did not spring fix it.  My only idea to fix this would be to put a shim in the metal part of this "neck" to extend it to try to straighten the plastic blade protector part.  Am I on the right path or is there an easier way to fix this?

Attached Files Image(s)

A carpenter's house is never done.
I’d just remove it, but of course there’s a safety issue there.
For the first 40+ years of it's life, that saw came with a wood blade guard. I'd try once to heat the plastic and straighten it but it would be pretty simple to recreate it from a piece of nice straight grained hard maple.
This suggestion may be wrong, so everyone feel free to call me an ignoramous, but, why don't you just modify/widen the slot with a router to make it straight again? Basically it is only a guard and has no impact on saw operation or tracking.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
I would loosen the guard mounting bolts, and see if there is enough room to shift the guard a little, if not, a round file and make the mounting holes longer. It's just plastic, should file easily.
I'd reinforce it with something straight, maybe some aluminum channel or something.

Or as said, make a new one out of wood.
[attachment=8007 Wrote:Phil Thien pid='7587379' dateline='1518020062']I'd reinforce it with something straight, maybe some aluminum channel or something.

Or as said, make a new one out of wood.

I took your idea and simplified it.

I asked my wife how you straighten your hair if its curly.  She said use a hair dryer.

First attempt I just heated and clamped it flat.  It sprung back so I over bent it and it is still crooked but in a different way but at least blade does not touch the guard.

Attached Files Image(s)

Good idea.

Is it possible the holes don't line up w/ the holes in the casting?  That could contribute to some bowing.
(02-07-2018, 04:27 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Good idea.

Is it possible the holes don't line up w/ the holes in the casting?  That could contribute to some bowing.

The first thing I did before posting last night was to loosen the bolts to see if that cured it.  When i removed the guard I discovered the bottom bolt hole is actually elongated so alignment was not the issue.  The saw has sat idle for most of 10 years, it is possible when tightening the bottom bolt it torqued the guard and caused it to warp, or the power switch might have been pushing up against the guard.