WTB - Small-ish planer
Question 
I'm in search of a small-ish planer for my basement shop.  Realistically, I don't need anything larger than 12-13" because of the types of projects I do (mostly hobby and home improvement) and because my shop is in my basement.  I've avoided pulling the trigger on a newer lunchbox planer with a universal motor because they tend to be louder (again, basement shop with a wife and kids upstairs).  I previously had a Dewalt 734 and it performed well and the width was fine, but it was incredibly loud.  However, a new 734 is likely my fall-back plan if I can't find what I'm looking for.  I'm in West Central OH and willing to drive 100 miles or so, if necessary (I'm on the road for work all of the time). I'm not opposed to an older machine that would need a little work.  My Unisaw and old jointer were basket cases that I restored.  In this case, though, I'd like to find a machine that could be made serviceable without a complete rebuild. I have a few projects on the docket that I'd like to get to relatively quickly.  There's not much out on Craigslist that fits these parameters these days.  If you have something or know someone who does, please let me know.

Thanks!
Kevin
PM sent
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(02-07-2018, 02:22 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: PM sent
Wink

Thanks!  I haven't seen any PM's come through yet.  I'll check back later.
(02-07-2018, 02:05 PM)Kevin M Wrote: I'm in search of a small-ish planer for my basement shop.  Realistically, I don't need anything larger than 12-13" because of the types of projects I do (mostly hobby and home improvement) and because my shop is in my basement.  I've avoided pulling the trigger on a newer lunchbox planer with a universal motor because they tend to be louder (again, basement shop with a wife and kids upstairs).  I previously had a Dewalt 734 and it performed well and the width was fine, but it was incredibly loud.  However, a new 734 is likely my fall-back plan if I can't find what I'm looking for.  I'm in West Central OH and willing to drive 100 miles or so, if necessary (I'm on the road for work all of the time). I'm not opposed to an older machine that would need a little work.  My Unisaw and old jointer were basket cases that I restored.  In this case, though, I'd like to find a machine that could be made serviceable without a complete rebuild. I have a few projects on the docket that I'd like to get to relatively quickly.  There's not much out on Craigslist that fits these parameters these days.  If you have something or know someone who does, please let me know.

Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin

If you look to put on a carbide bits on a roller will make it A LOT quieter.  I think Grizzly has those.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Kevin,
I think all lunchbox planners use the same type of motor and are going to be loud.
If I were you I’d consider something like a floor standing 12” planer like a Powermatic or Parks/Craftsman 12”. I think tbose would be better but I’m not sure.
Agreed. All lunchbox planers I’ve seen have universal motors. I should have been more clear. I’m looking for an older 12-13” 4 post planer with an induction motor. Straight knives are fine. I may consider upgrading to a Byrd head in the future, but not necessary today. Again, let me know if you looking to sell one or know someone who is. Thanks!
Delta, Powermatic, and Foley Belsaw all had planers in the 12-13" range.

The above three are going to take up about the same amount of space, and might weigh more, than a generic 15" 4 post.
My .02
Karl

Did you see this one in Dayton?

Quote:4) Parks 12" Planer SN#41560 Excellent Shape $750.00

https://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/d/wood...01864.html

Good luck!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)