Source for bow saw blades?
Can anyone tell me where I can get them, both for a 10-12" saw and a larger approx. 24 inch frame saw? I'm thinking of making the saws but need to find a source for blades. I know about Tools for Working Wood, but are there others?
(02-07-2018, 05:09 PM)overland Wrote: Can anyone tell me where I can get them, both for a 10-12" saw and a larger approx. 24 inch frame saw? I'm thinking of making the saws but need to find a source for blades. I know about Tools for Working Wood, but are there others?

Highland Hardware on the web carries ECE blades for frame saws, and they have a 12" bow saw blade as well.  You can resharpen the frame saw blades, I don't know about the bow saw blades. The frame saw blades are sized in mm, so construct accordingly.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Another source is Woodjoy tools.

http://www.woodjoytools.com/bowsaws/
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
(02-07-2018, 05:09 PM)overland Wrote: Can anyone tell me where I can get them, both for a 10-12" saw and a larger approx. 24 inch frame saw? I'm thinking of making the saws but need to find a source for blades. I know about Tools for Working Wood, but are there others?

What are the dimensions on the saw blade? I've made custom blades for bow saws up to 28" long before. Usually they are around 1-1/2" wide. Any narrower and they won't fit in the retoother
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(02-08-2018, 10:26 AM)Blacky Wrote: What are the dimensions on the saw blade? I've made custom blades for bow saws up to 28" long before. Usually they are around 1-1/2" wide. Any narrower and they won't fit in the retoother

I don't know. I haven't made the saw yet!
I did notice that Woodjoy sells handles and pins, just as Tools for Working Wood does for its nifty little bow saw, for people who want to make their own. That's good to know.
You see them hanging in about every antique shop....the infamous Butcher's Meat saw..
Rolleyes ...wel, the blade works nicely if a frame saw as well.

You can reuse the blade clamps from the old saw frame....

Might even be a bit easier to sharpen, too..

Just keep an eye out for them...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(02-08-2018, 10:26 AM)Blacky Wrote: What are the dimensions on the saw blade? I've made custom blades for bow saws up to 28" long before. Usually they are around 1-1/2" wide. Any narrower and they won't fit in the retoother

Could the blade be sheared narrower after being toothed? For a nominal fee of course.
I almost bought an old one recently until I noticed that the blade couldn't be rotated for ripping longer pieces. It was fixed in a position parallel to the frame.
(02-08-2018, 02:47 PM)overland Wrote: I almost bought an old one recently until I noticed that the blade couldn't be rotated for ripping longer pieces. It was fixed in a position parallel to the frame.

You do have a grinder in the shop?
Confused    ROUND the pins so they will rotate..simple as that. 
Winkgrin

Mine is mainly for cross cutting, doesn't require the blade to turn ( I have enough trouble  sawing straight, as it is..
Rolleyes )
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(02-08-2018, 01:42 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: Could the blade be sheared narrower after being toothed? For a nominal fee of course.

Probably but that is a super problematic practice. You spend all that time debluing and toothing a blade only to slip when you are shearing it to width.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?