How good are D-Way Tools?
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->
Really good

I needed a taller tool post for my McNaughton Coring gate. Not real tough, just a piece of 1-inch mild steel rod, with section about 1-1/2 inches long turned down to ¾ of an inch.

I don’t have a metal lathe, but I do have a 3-jaw machinist chuck that fits on one of the lathes and some of Dave’s M42 tools.

Well, M42 is used to machine steel….

It took some playing around to find which of the tools I have cut the best. With the approach angle I was using the best tool was the Bottom Feeder gouge. I found this tool, riding the bevel, produced the biggest chips. I also found that the edge lasted about as long (cutting time) as this same edge does turning a bowl.

Now hand turning steel does not produce a finish as nice as you will get from a regular machinist lathe, but with a little time with a file produces an acceptable finish for my needs.
This is also not something I could recommend for the novice turner, maintaining a constant approach angle is critical

But the really impressive part was how well the D-Way tools cut mild steel.

Ralph

(Yes Dave is an old friend of mine)
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
That's impressive. I've used HSS to turn aluminum, but not mild steel. I'm even more impressed that you could turn it by hand.
I am curious what you needed the modification for.
I was positive I made a comment here last night and it is not showing.
Confused

O well.  In the Air Force machine shop we used HSS all the time in cutting metals and when M42 came around in the mid 80's we used that as well.  We also had a carbide and when it got dull we chipped off a piece on the end to get another sharp edge again.

So yes any HSS will cut with turning tools, however, mind your speed and if it is totally not round you have to think of taking off thousands of an inch or you will break off a part of the tool if it is steel you are turning.
If you are turning Brass, Aluminum, Copper, or Bronze then you can take a bigger cut, but it is NOT like turning wood just a fraction every time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-08-2018, 05:34 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I am curious what you needed the modification for.

I needed a 7-1/2 inch tool post for the Grizzly G0766
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.