router quick change chuck
My apologies. The chuck I have is the Muscle Chuck NOT the ExTreme Extension. Giradman''s photo jogged my memory so I went down the the shop and looked. It's a Muscle Chuck. Should have looked before I posted. I was having difficulty with my chuck wrenches in my router table so I looked for some relief. The Muscle Chuck gave me that. Access to the Allen head cap screw that secures the but in the collet is easy in my router table. It works as advertised and the bit changes are a snap with an Allen wench.
(02-08-2018, 09:16 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: My apologies. The chuck I have is the Muscle Chuck NOT the ExTreme Extension. Giradman''s photo jogged my memory so I went down the the shop and looked. It's a Muscle Chuck. Should have looked before I posted. I was having difficulty with my chuck wrenches in my router table so I looked for some relief. The Muscle Chuck gave me that. Access to the Allen head cap screw that secures the but in the collet is easy in my router table. It works as advertised and the bit changes are a snap with an Allen wench.

Thanks Hank for the comments - looking forward to getting my 'in the mail' Muscle Chuck installed!  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I have a different perspective on these things coming from an industrial background and having worked with CNC machines a lot.

Tool holders bought for CNC machines are EXPENSIVE. Like $2-300 each expensive. This is because they are precision made and dynamically balanced. Any piece of metal spinning at 10,000 rpm or higher really ought to be. 

There is simply no way that for the money these quick change units are selling for that they are dynamically balanced. They WILL noticeably shorten the bearing life on your router. 

Peter, you do not mention the table nor the router you are using. I have a Triton 3hp Router in my Kreg Table. This router has a built it lift, and when raised up, auto locks the spindle so only one wrench is used. I also have a Porter Cable 890 in Rockler’s Rout-r-lift in my Folding Router Table. This left easily allows the collet to be raised above the table. The lift can be had for most 2-1/2 hp routers.

The PC 890 also has it’s own built in lift system that allows for above the table bit changes even with a standard flat insert plate. They sell a special handle for this but I think is hard to find now. I came up with my own. You can see how this system works and the handle here: https://youtu.be/uP5tLgrmcK8

The other option is a flip top on the router table. My old table (before the Kreg) used a Freud Router with no lift. So I made the top flip up to be able to change bits under the top without needing to kneel down. You get enough of that already! 
Big Grin
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Hi Handi - thanks for your comments about 'engineering' these replacement chucks - a concern of mine - for the record, my Musclechuck Quick Change Chuck arrived and would not screw onto my P-C 890 table-mounted router - the regular collet and the one from my P-C 690 screws on easily - not sure if the issue is with the screw threads on my router and/or on the chuck but does not work for me - mailed it back for an Amazon credit - for me my router table is a Veritas steel one w/o holes to reach below the table for height adjustments - love the table otherwise, so back to tough bit changes.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I have the Eliminator chuck on two table mounted machines. Set them up properly and I have zero issues with them with 100s of hours of use.
(02-14-2018, 08:07 PM)handi Wrote: The PC 890 also has it’s own built in lift system that allows for above the table bit changes even with a standard flat insert plate. They sell a special handle for this but I think is hard to find now. I came up with my own. You can see how this system works and the handle here: https://youtu.be/uP5tLgrmcK8

If memory serves, the P-C 8xx router lift mechanism uses a 3/16" hex end shaft so a socket will work.
I tried the Eliminator for awhile. Just too much run-out for my taste.
(02-17-2018, 06:57 PM)Don_M Wrote: I tried the Eliminator for awhile. Just too much run-out for my taste.

Interesting. When I first set mine up I checked the stock router chuck with a micrometer set up for run out. Installed the Eliminator and had to do some position adjusting, but with a little tweaking I got the Eliminator on one router to within the stock spec and on the other actual better than the stock spec. I have checked them a few times and they still are spot on after many hours of use.