Inexpensive Oscillating Tool- Move Over Harbor Freight
I bought the "non-variable" speed HF unit when it first came out, was on killer sale and a 25% off coupon. Cost like $12 and though the first one died almost immediately, I've pounded the poo out of the replacement for several years. 
No Complaints,
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
I bought once and cried once—Fein—although lightly used. I’ve used it enough to feel good about the price and quality factor. I have little patience for cheap tools being middle aged but that may slowly shift as I keep planning for my retirement.

I do like Aldi though. Trader Joe’s is over priced, IMO but not my wife’s.

(02-08-2018, 08:02 AM)pprobus Wrote: Saw this in yesterday's ad for a new grocery chain that moved into my area called Lidl.  Not saying this is better quality than the HF variable speed oscillating tool, but the one thing it has over it is the quick attachment and I believe its the same price as the HF variable speed one when its on sale.

https://www.lidl.com/products/295346_A

Paul

After first buying and using the Dremel version of this tool, and after the variable speed feature died, I found one of these for sale here in SNS from another member - it was brand new, having been a "double" Christmas gift. I've used it extensively for cutting wood in a remodeling project recently and have nothing but good things to say about it. Plenty powerful, blades cut smoothly (both wood and metal) and the tool-less blade feature is very handy.

Just could never bring myself to spring for the Fein because of the inflated price they were asking before competition finally kicked in a few years ago. Glad I waited now.

Just as a footnote, I've had excellent results with Bosch tools generally (no association with the company). Their CS folks have always been customer friendly, seemed willing to help and consequently I have bought quite a few of their tools over the years. Not exclusively, but I have a very favorable view of the quality of their tools and their people.

Doug
I find it funny how many people here have one of these and claim to almost never use it.  My mother in law bought me the Rockler a few years ago for my birthday.  I have used it a lot, even if I had to pay for it myself it has paid its $80 price tag back.  I have contemplated buying the next model up for the extra power and quick release feature.  It may be a too dull of a tool for frequent use in woodworking, it is indispensable for use in construction to the point both carpenters I hired a while back showed off theirs as a prize possession.  One asked how I was able to build this house 20 years ago without one.  

Mine came in handy for me recently in cabinet making.  My wife picked up a use replica cabinet for her craft room.  It was pretty big to the point I was concerned about my wife and I getting it upstairs, but it was so light it was not a problem.  At the end of the long narrow hallway the 40x80 cabinet one piece cabinet would not fit through the door.  With 10 minutes of work my oscillating tool made this into a two piece cabinet so cleanly that it was easy to add cleats, paint the seam and reconstruct it inside the room so no one would know it was two pieces.

Whether you go cheap, expensive or in the middle get yourself one of these tools.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-09-2018, 11:25 AM)photobug Wrote: I find it funny how many people here have one of these and claim to almost never use it.  My mother in law bought me the Rockler a few years ago for my birthday.  I have used it a lot....................

Whether you go cheap, expensive or in the middle get yourself one of these tools.

Nice comments - I probably need to pull out my Fein case, blow off the dust, and really look seriously at the various attachments - probably a matter of not exploring the many features of an OMT and also not thinking about the tool while doing projects.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Guys - I like cordless tools w/ Li-Ion batteries - so why not consider a cordless OMT?  Own a number of Bosch 'bare tools' that run off their 18V Li-Ion batteries - so looking on Amazon, their OMT 18V bare tool was a whopping $190 w/ just one blade - way too much!  BUT, exploring other cordless OMTs, I came across the Tacklife tool below for only $53 - how possible?  Comes w/ just one battery and no indication of how to get another one w/o buying another tool from them that uses that size battery - anyone own this tool or others that are similar at a great price?  Thanks - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
if you have bought into a company's battery system, the bare oscillating tools are all right around $120.  I somewhat regret buying a porter cable corded tool, because the cordless would be great for me. I it fairly regularly, but I don't really need the long-term power supply that the cord affords me.
(02-09-2018, 02:21 PM)EricU Wrote: if you have bought into a company's battery system, 
This is the key qualifier.  I consider my investment in a cordless system in for a penny in for a pound.  I was considering a Rigid cordless oscillating tool but had trouble finding it online.  I think maybe it was discontinued (lemon maybe).
Even if a company has a better product I will probably go with Rigid's cordless tools because I own two batteries already.  If I were to invest in other tools I would want to have more batteries for my chosen system.  I just ordered a Rigid cordless trim router this week.  It was on sale and for $10 more than retail of the tool I ended up with another battery and charger for my tool system.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-08-2018, 12:58 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: Aldi and Lidl are competitors, I think they are owned by two brothers. 

Like Grizzly and ShopFox?
(02-09-2018, 02:21 PM)EricU Wrote: if you have bought into a company's battery system, the bare oscillating tools are all right around $120.  I somewhat regret buying a porter cable corded tool, because the cordless would be great for me. I it fairly regularly, but I don't really need the long-term power supply that the cord affords me.

Yes, I was going to get the Craftsman one since I have already bought into the C3 battery line and they offered one, but they have done away with that tool (I can't find it on Sears' site or the Craftsman site).  Like I did buy into the Bosch 12V mini line, but as stated earlier, their version is very expensive and I seem to recall it does not have the quick release like their corded version does.  I have bought into HF's Hercules line as a hedge against the Craftsman C3 line going away when Sears eventually goes out of business, they indicate they will have one at some point, but still waiting for other tools to show up for that lineup.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!