Air Compressors
Thinking about buying a new compressor to have air to blow off benches/tools and the occasional need for a brad nailer. Will be stationary in the corner of the shop, so mobility isn't really a consideration, space savings is, so its why they are all uprights. 

HFT 26 gallon

Performax 26 gallon

Husky 20 Gallon

Whats your thoughts.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Don't get an oil-less compressor...the noise is just stupid loud. You Will be looking for better ear protection. I don't have a link, bt HF has a small vertical oil compressor that is pretty good and much quieter. Break it in, replace the oil with synthetic and you will be set for years.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(02-08-2018, 09:06 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Thinking about buying a new compressor to have air to blow off benches/tools and the occasional need for a brad nailer. Will be stationary in the corner of the shop, so mobility isn't really a consideration, space savings is, so its why they are all uprights.
. . .
Whats your thoughts.

My old PC pancake can do that.  I put it in a cabinet with a filter/regulator on the outside, and it's nice and quiet.  It doesn't run enough to heat up the interior of the cabinet normally, but when I've sprayed with it, which surprisingly hasn't killed it yet, I open the door and pull the drawer out so it can stay cool(ish).  Spraying will work it hard enough to cycle the overheat protection and shut it down, even with out in the open, so I mostly use other methods than spraying with that little unit.  But you didn't say you wanted to spray, so it's a moot point.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Not to really hijack the thread but I'm sure others will read who have an interest in a smaller portable air compressor, which are typically 'oil-less' and loud - I've had the Makita shown below for 19 years (now replaced w/ newer models) - 2 1/2 gal and only 29 pounds, so easily moved - it is loud, however, I use only w/ my pinner, nailers, & air staplers - use to use as a blower but recycled noisily too often - thus bought the hand duster also shown below; of course this small Makita is of no use if planning to use air tools requiring larger volumes of air.

So, my interest and likely some other readers of this thread would be for a smaller, portable unit, likely 'oil-less' but maybe not - would like to read some comments about newer brands and models of these compressor units - the Makita has serve my needs for two decades and probably will go on 'blowing' for many more years, but a quieter one would be a pleasure.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I inherited an oiless 20 gallon compressor that sits in the storage shed and where it will remain. Couldn't put up with the racket and man it is slow.

I'll stay with the oiled twin cylinder I have now. 15 years old and still working fine (USA made 60 gallon 7 hp.).

You might consider building one or replace the oiless with a better compressor.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/..._200387234

Knowing what I know now that size does matter with a compressor, I would beg, borrow, and save up for a better compressor. I would want to be able to get parts in the future and want a good warranty that's backed up.

Example;
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ingersoll-Ra.../202889756

Perfect for the shop use. Why buy a compressor for a short time when you could have one for 15-25 years? Just do the maintenance.
(02-08-2018, 09:06 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Thinking about buying a new compressor to have air to blow off benches/tools and the occasional need for a brad nailer. Will be stationary in the corner of the shop, so mobility isn't really a consideration, space savings is, so its why they are all uprights. 

HFT 26 gallon

Performax 26 gallon

Husky 20 Gallon

Whats your thoughts.
.........Emglo makes a nice, oil lubed one HP twin tank A/C that would probably suit your needs...$259.00..I have had one forty years..Mine has a Baldor 1 1/2HP motor and has unloader valves...Motor keeps running even after desired pressure is reached..makes for much more efficient system, easy on the motor and power draw...can run all day and not heat up...And it's quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Id sell you one of these if you were close.

https://www.amazon.com/Puma-Industries-P...uma+20+gal

The Puma 20gal or the Ingersol Rand Garage mate 20gal are both great small compressors.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When my Sears oiless in the garage finally dies, I will probably replace it with this...
HF 21 Gal Vertica1l Oil type Compressor

This one is not vertical, but I've built and roofed a couple of good sized additions and  with this one - very portable and still going strong.

HF 2HP, 8Gal Horizontal oil type Compressor
MKM - Master Kindling Maker

HFT 26 gallon

Performax 26 gallon

Husky 20 Gallon

Whats your thoughts.

If you want to travel to my house I will give you mine.  It works great and I changed the oil last year.  I need a bigger one with more CFM output.  Plus we can meet so that is two things to encourage you.
Yes
It is a 2.+hp with 30 gallon tank and make an extension to the side of the tank so it is easy to drain the water.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-09-2018, 03:40 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you want to travel to my house I will give you mine.  It works great and I changed the oil last year.  I need a bigger one with more CFM output.  Plus we can meet so that is two things to encourage you.
Yes
It is a 2.+hp with 30 gallon tank and make an extension to the side of the tank so it is easy to drain the water.
I have a 20 gal oil lubed industrial air