New to Pen Turning
I am looking for some advice or direction. I recently took a pen turning class at my local Rockler store and loved it. I've been looking at the different MIDI lathes and am overwhelmed by the selection and varying reviews of each of them. The PSI "starter kit" are attractive simply because they appear to have everything I will need but I'm not sure how good of a buy the package deal really is. So, my question is, What lathe can you recommend as a starter lathe and what supplies do I really need to get started turning pens? I see lathes priced from $200 to $600. I don't really want to break the bank account getting started but I don't want to buy something now and six months from wish I would have spent an extra $100 to get what I really needed.

Thanks in advance for you advice.
For the lathes, any of the midi lathes will do fine for turning pens.  The question will be which lathe is best suited to you and has best combination of features that you like.   Most of them wil adjust speed using step pulleys.  I don't know of any Midis that do electronic variable speed.  I know Penn State sells a variable speed conversion kit.   I would also suggest looking at the Harbor Freight lathe.  My dad owns one and it is surprisingly nice to turn on.  It would get you a 12" swing lathe at the price point of a 6" and it has variable speed.

As to pens in general, for the actual turning you will need to be able to drill the blanks for tubes.  Some folks do this on the lathe, which means you will need a morse taper drill chuck and a 4-jaw chuck to hold the blank.  Others do this in a drill press, which means you need something to hold the blanks vertically.  I use a pen blank vise from Penn State and drill mine on a drill press.   For the turning, you can either turn between centers (TBC) with a good set of calipers to match the pen kit, or you can turn on a pen mandrel.  The mandrel requires bushings for the larger tubes.  I've turned pens both ways.  I prefer the mandrel because for pens that have 2 barrels I can turn both at the same time and visually can ensure they match for size, overall design, etc.  Lastly, dont overlook the finish.  The finish on the pen is even more important than the design/turning.  

If I had to start out again, I think I would start with planning to turn between centers.  That means I would need a dead center for the headstock and a cone center for the tail stock.  This is a bit cheaper than a mandrel and the bushings.    I would plan on drilling on the drill press - a pen blank vise is cheaper than the chuck you need to hold the blank on the lathe.    You can always decide to get a chuck later.  

I would also checkout penturners.org  There's a wealth of information there.
When I started turning, I bought this pen starter kit from Rockler (got it on sale)

http://www.rockler.com/starter-pen-turning-kit

Between that and a pen vice like this one from Woodcraft:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pen-m...lling-vise

you should be set (provided you have a drill press). I chuck a bolt into my drillpress to press the pen parts together, using a scrap block of wood under the pen.

As for a lathe, everyone is different. When I was looking for my first lathe, I decided to get one a little bigger that could handle other items to turn and I could grow into. For me the Jet 1220VS was great. I've heard the new one is very nice, but it is on the top end of your price range (mine was $400 ten years ago). When I started to expand my turnings from pens, it had the horse power to handle a Nova chuck.

Also, since you're going to go down this very slippery slope, you'll need some way to sharpen all the new tools your going to buy. I use the Wolverine jigs on a Rikon 8" slow speed grinder.

Looking back, I think I spent ~$700 on the lathe, sharping jig and tools (I already had a grinder and DP). Now, that price for everything would be closer to $1K.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're very good at spending other people's money.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
http://www.penturners.org

IMHO:
1. Stick with Jet or Nova for easy resale. Many people get hooked on turning—you will want to trade up sooner or later.
2. TBC is the way to go; I find I get better fitting pens this way.
3. Look on C/L; you may find a good deal to get you going from someone else who is upgrading. I got a Jet Mini for $150 not too long ago.
4. The lathe is likely the least expensive part of this slippery slope; it’s the accessories which will get you.

Winkgrin

The IAP is the place for pen turning. WN’s turning forum doesn’t run a close second in this regard.

Have fun.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(02-09-2018, 07:19 AM)mgbgt Wrote: I am looking for some advice or direction. I recently took a pen turning class at my local Rockler store and loved it. I've been looking at the different MIDI lathes and am overwhelmed by the selection and varying reviews of each of them. The PSI "starter kit" are attractive simply because they appear to have everything I will need but I'm not sure how good of a buy the package deal really is. So, my question is, What lathe can you recommend as a starter lathe and what supplies do I really need to get started turning pens? I see lathes priced from $200 to $600. I don't really want to break the bank account getting started but I don't want to buy something now and six months from wish I would have spent an extra $100 to get what I really needed.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

That is the exact same way I started turning 8 years ago is getting the PSI kit.  At the time they only had the 10" swing and if I was doing so now I would go with the 12" swing and you will be much happier.
Yes
Also I wished I would have gotten the extension bed with it as well and it seems it is only a little over $90 to get it.

Also it has almost everything you need to turn it does leave out a few items tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I would look for a used lathe.
Many people sell their lathes as they upgrade.
Also I would seek out your local AAW chapter.
The knowledge gained from these clubs is priceless.

http://www.woodturner.org/?page=Chapters
http://www.penturners.org/ Join here and you will find all the answers you can think of. This is a friendly dedicated site to pen turners.
John T.
I shopped hard for my pen lathe and got lucky.  I found a new Delta 46-460 from a guy who won it in a raffle.  I found the lathe through the local woodturners club.

I would suggest searching the Facebook section that has stuff for sale.   Use a Craigslist search engine.   

I knew the exact model I wanted so the search was easy.  It took about 4 months to locate it....

Used lathes can often be had with supplies like turning tools, chucks, jaws, and sharpening equip too.

Good Luck w/ your search...
Slow Dancing..... doing vertically what you're wanting to do horizontally