Air nailers & pinners - 18 vs. 21 vs. 23 G fasteners?
Question 
Hi All - I build 'small' items for home & church using mainly hardwoods - I've been using a Grex 23G pinner for a number of years, mainly to hold pieces while the glue dries (typically clamped) - my 20+ y/o Senco 18G nailer has seen little use, i.e. always have to deal w/ the head holes - recently I've seen & read reviews on 21G nailers (and pinners), such as the Grex (shown below - LINK) - the 2nd pic shows the relative size of the holes left.

So, I would like the option of having the 'holding power' of longer 18G nails but w/ a smaller hole - will the 21G options fit this goal?  If so, then for those owning these intermediate nailers/pinners, which brands/models offer the best prices and value.  Thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I'm looking forward to the replies from this who have used the 21 Ga pinners. I saw the SENCO 21 Ga. pinner demonstrated at my local dealer and I'm impressed. The mark/hole left by the headed pin is almost as discrete as a 23 Ga pin and the holding power is almost as strong as an 18 Ga. brad. Now I see they offer headless 21 Ga pins to compete with the 23 Ga shooters. At first I was hesitant to consider buying one, thinking they would be a temporary fad and soon disappear; but With Grex and others now making 21 Ga pinners, it looks like they are here to stay. I use my 18 Ga brad shooter often, but not on work where the brad will mar the appearance. I have never been a fan of the 23 Ga pinner, mainly because they have not much holding power. The 21 Ga may be the answer.
(02-10-2018, 01:09 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm looking forward to the replies from this who have used the 21 Ga pinners. I saw the SENCO 21 Ga. pinner demonstrated at my local dealer and I'm impressed. The mark/hole left by the headed pin is almost as discrete as a 23 Ga pin and the holding power is almost as strong as an 18 Ga. brad. Now I see they offer headless 21 Ga pins to compete with the 23 Ga shooters. At first I was hesitant to consider buying one, thinking they would be a temporary fad and soon disappear; but With Grex and others now making 21 Ga pinners, it looks like they are here to stay. I use my 18 Ga brad shooter often, but not on work where the brad will mar the appearance. I have never been a fan of the 23 Ga pinner, mainly because they have not much holding power. The 21 Ga may be the answer.

Hank - I've loved my Grex 23G pinner - again my main use is to hold pieces until the glue dries (clamped or un-clamped); even the longer pins of that size will not provide much in holding power - BUT, a 21G nailer w/ 2" brads would probably be a much better holder - for me, I would likely donate my 18G nailer and rely on the smaller gauge for the same purposes - plus, plugging the nail holes would be less irritating or not needed?

But I have another question regarding the availability of 21G nail sizes - for my Grex 23G pinner, I've purchased their 'Combo Packs' as shown below from Amazon - as an amateur woodworker, I don't need to waste my money buying 5000 to 10,000 packs of a certain size nail (of course x 3-4 for various lengths) - I require a cheaper option but cannot yet find that Grex is offering a similar combo option for their 21G nailer nor other brands - SO, my question is this combo pack available at a decent price, whether offered by Grex or another brand?  Thanks for any input - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
 I have the Cadex V2/23.55 and I am very happy with it. I like that it will do 1/2" - 2 3/16" in both headless pins and brads. The holes it leaves are so small that I usually don't even have to patch them. The brads leave a little larger hole but now by much and the longer lengths hold surprisingly well. I only use the Cadex pins and haven't had any problems with them. It's not a cheap gun but it's not any more expensive than the other high quality guns. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cadex-V2-23-55-Pi...g=pda0e-21
Earl
(02-10-2018, 11:22 PM)retfr8flyr Wrote:  I have the Cadex V2/23.55 and I am very happy with it. I like that it will do 1/2" - 2 3/16" in both headless pins and brads. The holes it leaves are so small that I usually don't even have to patch them. The brads leave a little larger hole but now by much and the longer lengths hold surprisingly well. I only use the Cadex pins and haven't had any problems with them. It's not a cheap gun but it's not any more expensive than the other high quality guns. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cadex-V2-23-55-Pi...g=pda0e-21

Hello - thanks for the Cadex recommendation - I've considered that nailer (below from Amazon - assume the one you own) - about $50 more than the Grex (and not sure if the latter has the option of doing 21G brads & pins?) - also, Amazon sells a 'combo pack' of brads (2nd pic) which would be my choice - just a question - have you found other combo packs of brads, pins, or both that work w/ your Cadex and are priced reasonably?  Thanks - Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
The cadex and grex are the festool of pin nailers. Good but....  I would go with the bigger 21ga as it holds more.

To make things even more complicated there is an 18ga pin nailer made by senco. Yes pin nailer not brad nailer. I need up with a case of pins and have not been able to find a used nail gun for them. Would be handy for certain things like the very narrow crown staplers used in assembling door frames and wood windows.
I have 2 23g pinners. The first does 1/2" to 1 3/16". the Senco goes to 2", yes, 2" - 23g pins. For me, both due the job as intended very well.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Google Unicatch 87952. 23ga pins 1"
Amazon has this brand, at better prices I think. I use these, + porter cable and some grex.
 I can't tell whether one brand is better than the other.

I jump from 18ga to 23ga. I have no 21ga. Haven't found a need.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sorry, I can't give you any info on other brand pins. The Cadex pins work well for me, so I just use them. When I got mine I bought the kit with the pin and brad assortment and Systainer. Like I said it hasn't given me a single problem and I feel it's well worth the price. I looked at both the Grex and the Cadex and I didn't like some of the reviews on the Grex, so I went with the Cadex.
Earl
For me, the threshold is "does it require filling" for trim carpentry.

The 18 gage holes will generally "self fill" with two coats of latex.  So that is as small as I require.  I do have a 23 gage micro pinner and I do use it for very small profiles, but the 18 gage gets the nod most often.  I have a 15 gage angled nailer but that definitely needs to have the holes filled.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.