Pex gas line?
Need to get natural gas from basement thru un excavated area to other end of house.  Total run about 130 feet with many turns.  Far to many to use black pipe.  Being that gas is very low pressure and pex is rated for 160 psi at 74 degrees and I have all the tools why not?
Regards Bill
(02-10-2018, 02:41 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Need to get natural gas from basement thru un excavated area to other end of house.  Total run about 130 feet with many turns.  Far to many to use black pipe.  Being that gas is very low pressure and pex is rated for 160 psi at 74 degrees and I have all the tools why not?
Regards Bill

So I have to ask have you considered going up and over? 

I don't use pex seems to easy for rodents, or nails to damage to me
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Not sure it meets code requirements by me.  We use a stainless steel pipe wrapped in plastic. Trac Pipe I think it is called?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Flexible copper.
(02-10-2018, 02:41 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Need to get natural gas from basement thru un excavated area to other end of house.  Total run about 130 feet with many turns.  Far to many to use black pipe.  Being that gas is very low pressure and pex is rated for 160 psi at 74 degrees and I have all the tools why not?
Regards Bill

In many areas the yellow pex pipe can only be installed by a utility, not permitted for homeowners or plumbers to install.  Roly
The pex gas pipe is only used for direct burial right now. It hasn't made it to the inside of the house yet. Right now we are stuck with the stainless flex pipe which I would feel allot safer using plumbing pex that I would using it but that's how it is for the moment.  There are different brands of the stainless depending on your location as its like pvc pipe brands it just depends on where you are what brand is there.
The pressure drop for corrugated gas line (the yellow stainless stuff) is quite a bit higher than black pipe.

And 130' is a lot of feed to add, in either case.

So you better figure out how much gas you need and how much you're going to have at the end of 130' of whatever you're going to install.
(02-10-2018, 02:52 PM)Bob10 Wrote: So I have to ask have you considered going up and over? 

I don't use pex seems to easy for rodents, or nails to damage to me

Up and over what? MY roof??  would be thru crawl space, above dirt and below flooring above.  No nails or rodents here as well as no Uv exposure.  Flex copper not an option. bill
(02-10-2018, 05:27 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: The pressure drop for corrugated gas line (the yellow stainless stuff) is quite a bit higher than black pipe.

And 130' is a lot of feed to add, in either case.

So you better figure out how much gas you need and how much you're going to have at the end of 130' of whatever you're going to install.

My house gas line is pex, and it runs 900 feet from the meter with a 2 inch line or maybe smaller  into the foundation where is is black iron thru the cinder block to the furnace.
Bill
(02-10-2018, 06:24 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: My house gas line is pex, and it runs 900 feet from the meter with a 2 inch line or maybe smaller  into the foundation where is is black iron thru the cinder block to the furnace.
Bill

Well I'm no expert on this.

But I did inquire when thinking of replacing a conventional hot water heater with an instant hot water heater.

When I spoke to the natural gas supplier, they confirmed what the plumber had told me, which is that I need to size my line based on my BTU consumption, and length.

And that the pressure coming from the meter was set based on the parameters when the house was built.

So my meter is at my house, and my furnace is 25' from the meter.  The hot water heater is 5' from the furnace.  And the black iron pipe was insufficiently large to carry the amount of natural gas required, if I wanted to change to a continuous hot water heater.

And that if I wanted to use corrugated pipe to replace the black pipe I'd be replacing, I'd have to go up an additional size because the corrugated had more pressure drop, for the same size, as black pipe (I think the ID is smaller, in fact, which would make some sense).

My point being, at 900' from the meter and adding another 130', I'd make sure I spoke to someone that knows what kind of pressure you're getting now, and make sure you're going to have enough gas to handle whatever you're adding, to make sure you aren't already at the margin, that is all.

Feel free to disregard this advice.