Pex gas line?
(02-10-2018, 02:41 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Need to get natural gas from basement thru un excavated area to other end of house.  Total run about 130 feet with many turns.  Far to many to use black pipe.  Being that gas is very low pressure and pex is rated for 160 psi at 74 degrees and I have all the tools why not?
Regards Bill

Contact the gas supplier and find out what makes them happy.
(02-10-2018, 06:24 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: My house gas line is pex, and it runs 900 feet from the meter with a 2 inch line or maybe smaller  into the foundation where is is black iron thru the cinder block to the furnace.
Bill

Is it Pex or is it polyethylene gas line?

Or is there a Pex approved for gas?

Poly gas line usually runs from the utility which also can be Poly to the house underground and then stubbed out outside the house to black iron (sched 40) and then possibly CSST (corrugated stainless/bonded), copper or brass. Poly, rubber, cast iron, galvanized and plastic is not allowed inside the house in most (if not all) areas . CSST needs to be run through "strike plates". Copper and brass are not allowed if the gas contains more than 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100cu ft (generally referring to propane).

There's also a host of other bonding, support, shut-off valve and drip-leg regulations.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Time for a story.

I grew up in the country.  A neighbor had a couple of oil wells drilled on their property, either through a lease or sale of mineral rights.  They had the right to use the head gas for their personal dwelling.  The well was finished in the fall, so they ran some polyethylene gas line on top of the ground, into the basement, through the basement window.  They planned to bury it in the spring. 

That winter we had a bad case of freezing rain, on top of a about 3 feet of snow.  This put the weight of the snow at dangerous levels, so people were shoveling off their roofs.  The man of the house unknowingly dropped a large piece of ice on the polyethylene gas line.  The gas flowed through the basement window, where the polyethylene gas line entered.  However the gas was not there for long, only long enough to hit the furnace pilot!  We lived 1/2 mile away and the explosion rattled our windows a bit (granted, we did not have modern, tight, double insulated windows).  

They were extremely lucky.  The kitchen was an add-on.  The explosion separated the kitchen from rest of the house.  No one was killed or seriously injured.  There was enough snow on the ground such that the man who was blown off the roof had a soft landing with minor injuries.  The rest of the family was in another part of the house and they escaped relatively unharmed.  I cannot remember if they were treated at the hospital or not.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Just run garden hose.  To hell with all those building codes and material certification standards and proper sizing charts and such.
Sarcasm
Sarcasm
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(02-11-2018, 02:08 PM)blackhat Wrote: Just run garden hose.  To hell with all those building codes and material certification standards and proper sizing charts and such.
Sarcasm
Sarcasm

I'm sure it has been done.   What I saw with theft of electricity, I would bet the garden hose is not the worse.  Roly
Quote:Cross-linked polyethylene, commonly abbreviated PEX, XPE or XLPE, is a form of polyethylene with cross-links. It is used predominantly in building services pipework systems, hydronic radiant heating and cooling systems, domestic water piping, and insulation for high tension (high voltage) electrical cables. It is also used for natural gas and offshore oil applications, chemical transportation, and transportation of sewage and slurries.

I would guess the reluctance to use this material in a house would be the fire threat from leakage caused by damage or poorly done connections.

I should have paid attention when they fused the new connection in my backyard.

BTW, my line was only about 6" deep. I am glad I never put a shovel into it.
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell
(02-11-2018, 02:08 PM)blackhat Wrote: Just run garden hose.  To hell with all those building codes and material certification standards and proper sizing charts and such.
Sarcasm
Sarcasm

Yep I think the OP wanted a certain response to the question instead of what might be safe.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

When I built my current house eight years ago the plumber used some kind of flexible plastic tubing or pipe. On each end before it came out of the ground he transitioned to metal.
(02-12-2018, 08:10 AM)Overland1 Wrote: When I built my current house eight years ago the plumber used some kind of flexible plastic tubing or pipe. On each end before it came out of the ground he transitioned to metal.

That's poly gas pipe. Only rated for the utility side of the home... underground, not exposed.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay