School me on mortise chisel bits
Is there a reason why you can't just use a mortise chisel bit on a drill press without having to buy a special attachment or a dedicated power tool costing hundreds of dollars?

Is it stability? Is it the pressure required to drive the chisel into the work piece? Both? Or is it a conspiracy among tool manufacturers to get you to spend more money?
Big Grin

Inferior minds want to know.
(02-11-2018, 08:40 AM)Hobbywood Wrote: Is there a reason why you can't just use a mortise chisel bit on a drill press without having to buy a special attachment or a dedicated power tool costing hundreds of dollars?

Is it stability? Is it the pressure required to drive the chisel into the work piece? Both? Or is it a conspiracy among tool manufacturers to get you to spend more money?
Big Grin

The chisel bit is held from turning but the drill bit inside it turns to drill out the wood.   That is what the attachment does.  Roly
I gotcha. The bit and the chisel are not connected in any way. The bit goes in the chuck and the attachment holds the chisel and the whole thing is plunged as one unit when you lower the quill of the drill press.

I was thinking the chisel and bit were an integrated unit, hence my confusion.

Thanks, Roly.
(02-11-2018, 08:59 AM)Hobbywood Wrote: I gotcha. The bit and the chisel are not connected in any way. The bit goes in the chuck and the attachment holds the chisel and the whole thing is plunged as one unit when you lower the quill of the drill press.

I was thinking the chisel and bit were an integrated unit, hence my confusion.

Thanks, Roly.

Without the bit drilling out the center, you could never force the square chisel through the wood...All the chisel does is take the wood out of the corners.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-11-2018, 08:40 AM)Hobbywood Wrote: Is it stability? Is it the pressure required to drive the chisel into the work piece? Both? Or is it a conspiracy among tool manufacturers to get you to spend more money?
Big Grin

This... I once bought a mortise attachment for my full size floor stand drill press thinking it would do the job.
Well, the force required to drive even a 3/8 inch bit was too much.  It sorta worked on soft woods but it was no match for hardwoods.

There's a reason why dedicated mortising machines have a long beefy handles and robust cast iron construction.
(02-11-2018, 08:40 AM)Hobbywood Wrote: Is there a reason why you can't just use a mortise chisel bit on a drill press without having to buy a special attachment or a dedicated power tool costing hundreds of dollars?

Big Grin

For years all I used for mortises was the Delta mortising attachment for a 1950's Delta Homecraft 11"
drill press.  While this press is not very robust, it did the job on 3/8"  mortises in cherrry, walnut, and maple with no problems.  I now have a dedicated mortiser, and it is faster at doing the job, but not necessarily better.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
I have a Ridgid drill press with the Ridgid mortise set. It chops mortises just fine.

I also have a Jet mortise that is my primary tool for mortises, but it is limited to the rail/stile width it can mortise in. In those cases, the Ridgid does the job.

Mortise machines/attachment use different Chisel/drill sets depending on manufacture, need to be carful when buying replacements.

Big Grin

You have two different operations occurring at the same time.
Raised
Uhoh
Rolleyes