isolated cabin
(02-12-2018, 08:53 PM)Admiral Wrote: I fish up on the Gouin Reservoir in north central Quebec, propane stove, refrig and lights (which are pretty good, actually); wood heat; battery charged by solar for pumping water into a cistern for running water, propane water heater for showers, outhouse.  Got to bring your drinking water.  Everything is flown in by a De Havilland Beaver made in 1954.  Amazingly civilized, they fly us in, we spend a week then they pick us up.  We generally see no other people during the week, and when we see other fishermen in a boat it is an exception, and we stop and talk and swap beer. When we first started going up, 20 years ago, no frig, no shower, no running water; they had some block ice underground for cooling the beer and food.

A week like that is on my bucket list.
It WILL happen some day.

Yes
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
the bottom feeders around here see those cabins as their savings account.  Is there something other than copper you can use to run the propane to the lamps?

I thought about having a cabin, but my neighbor's cabin just about drives him nuts with people breaking in.
Don't have one....but have visited several landowners who do.

I'd certainly look hard at using LED lights and a trickle solar charger for a battery to power them.  You could probably get by with a few of those "lighted switches".  I have one in my shed and it is pretty good.  Not sure how long it will last, but if you are only there a couple of evenings, bring some rechargeable batteries each time and you'd be set.

Refrigeration:  again...how long are you there?  What is the hike in like?  Is a small inverter generator an option?  How about a Yeti cooler?  Might be the only time where Yeti is the cheapest option 
Laugh  Otherwise propane fridge sounds like the best option.  Or...how badly do you need refrigeration?  I did a lot of backpacking in the past where we'd on the trail for 2 weeks and got by just fine without.
Don't forget about kero lamps.

Refrigeration is taken care of this time of the year.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(02-12-2018, 10:15 AM)bgosh Wrote: Just wondering what some of you folks are using for lighting and refrigeration in your cabins without electricity?
Rolleyes Stan

Solar panel and a couple of 6V batteries for LED lights and water pump.  Propane for fridge.  Silly fridges are darned expensive tho.  For heat, I would use a wood stove.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(02-13-2018, 12:00 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Don't  forget about kero lamps.    

Did you ever get yours dusted off and operational?
Raised  
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you don't want the hissing of a Coleman lamp then an Aladdin Lamp is a great choice. Kerosene or better yet lamp oil. Some beautiful and practical ones out there. http://aladdinlamps.com/ Available in a lot of stores.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.