What tool am I missing?
(02-13-2018, 06:15 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: I love my superMax 25/50.  Wood planes suck.
Big Grin
I am sure I would love it as well.  We'll see this summer when the shop get's rearranged if there is room for a drum sander then.

(02-13-2018, 08:24 AM)AHill Wrote:  Shoulder planes are handy as well if you do a lot of tenons.   You can also trim tenons with a router plane (which I find more handy than a shoulder plane).  Router planes can clean up dados and grooves, hinge mortises, etc.

It would be my primary use is dado clean up.  I have plans to build my own router plane.  I will have to add the iron to my Lee-Valley shopping cart.
A carpenter's house is never done.
I bought a 22/44 drum sander around 12 years ago thinking that a 16/32 wasn't wide enough. As it turns out, for what I do, a 16/32 would have been plenty wide enough. I use mine for shop sawn veneers, segmented rings and just general sanding of parts before assembly. Not once have I ever run a door through it or anything else that required the full 22". Your needs may be different but I could have saved a few bucks going with the 16/32.
(02-13-2018, 10:10 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I bought a 22/44 drum sander around 12 years ago thinking that a 16/32 wasn't wide enough. As it turns out, for what I do, a 16/32 would have been plenty wide enough. I use mine for shop sawn veneers, segmented rings and just general sanding of parts before assembly. Not once have I ever run a door through it or anything else that required the full 22". Your needs may be different but I could have saved a few bucks going with the 16/32.

I think it was Rockler that had the 16/32 on sale for $1000 bucks last month.  I was very tempted but wanted bigger, I was thinking 19/38.  I do plan on making a household full of doors someday to replace the H. Depot pine ones.  A sander wide enough to accomodate that project would be nice.  I will reconsider the drum sander purchase this summer when I may have space for it.  For now it would just be in the way along with other tools and projects in my shop.  I would like some sort of drum sander before taking on end grain cutting boards.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-13-2018, 12:12 PM)photobug Wrote: I think it was Rockler that had the 16/32 on sale for $1000 bucks last month.  I was very tempted but wanted bigger, I was thinking 19/38.  I do plan on making a household full of doors someday to replace the H. Depot pine ones.  A sander wide enough to accomodate that project would be nice.  I will reconsider the drum sander purchase this summer when I may have space for it.  For now it would just be in the way along with other tools and projects in my shop.  I would like some sort of drum sander before taking on end grain cutting boards.

A couple of suggestions if you get a drum sander. Too many people think they are using a planer instead of a sander and try to take too much at once. Sometimes I will make a small adjustment and run the piece through two or more times before making another adjustment. The denser the wood the more important this is. If you try to adjust it too much you will burn and pretty much ruin the belt so make very small adjustments until you get the feel for it. Some woods are just too dense to run through a drum sander. I've been using a lot of bloodwood lately for segmented turning and have given up on sanding it without burning belt. I finally dedicated one belt to to sanding segmented disks that has some burns it it. I don't really care if it burns the disk a bit since it will be covered up/turned off.

You'll find a lot of uses for it if you buy one.