Framing a piece of leather?
Question 
How best to frame a flat piece of leather?  I'm having a leather worker tool a rectangular piece of leather for me to create a third anniversary gift.  I'll build a frame for it but wonder about two things:

1)  Should I frame it behind glass or create a shadow box for it?

2)  How should I best attach the leather to the back of the frame?  Will hot glue hold for years to come?  Contact adhesive?  Hide glue?

The dimensions of the leather are 7x8".
Semper fi,
Brad

For myself.

Rough leather- glass.
Polished leather- regular frame.

Leather tacks, flat tacks or staples.
These questions I don't yet know the answer to. Once I get the piece in hand I'll answer them and move on from there.
Semper fi,
Brad

I would put it under glass and cut a mat so that the glass does not contact the leather.  

If the leather worker can put in several small holes around the perimeter you can stitch this onto the mat board with linen thread that matches the leather color.  

That makes the mounting "reversible" with no damage to the leather and it can be re-framed years from now easily.

Glass, or acrylic will protect the leather.  Hang it away from direct sunlight and away from  fluorescent light.  Both light sources will shift the color over time.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.