1/2 round Cherry side table
Thanks J-W-P.

I bridged the form from the table saw to the work bench. I laid an old flannel bed sheet over it hanging over the edges & covered it with worn out jeans & sweatshirts. I had an oil filled radiator style heater under it set on 74*. Left it like this for 24hrs. It had to be nearly 80* under all that the next evening. It's now unclamped with a spacer across the back opening & a band clamp around it because I didn't have time to do anything else with it yesterday evening. Hope to get back to it this afternoon. Springback at that point was 1/4" to the original 24" I was looking for. It's been in a small heated room since coming out of the form.

[Image: 20180213_085327_zpsaehpehiu.jpg]

This afternoon might be good. Calling for rain most of it. More to come!!
I finally got back to it yesterday. After allowing the piece to set with the clamp on it to ensure it's shape I finally unclamped it yesterday again. I also trimmed the ends to square & got the center leg cut & attached. 2 legs to go. Once I'm happy with the base I will mill the boards for the top & do a glue up for that.

Cool
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
OK. I have the base all glued up. The top needs some edge jointing & it's ready to glue up.

Once the glue was cleaned up & the edges were milled smooth on the apron I found a couple voids that were on the bottom. Nothing serious maybe? As usual,, all thoughts & opinions are Welcome!!

Longest & 1/32" gap.
[Image: 20180217_170118_zpsgqwvpedc.jpg]

Most disturbing since it's on the face veneer.
[Image: 20180217_170101_zpseuxiw24m.jpg]

All but 3 spots look like this.
[Image: 20180217_165947_zpszl6ebxab.jpg]

A bunch of sanding. LOL
[Image: 20180217_171923_zpswgwffapv.jpg]

BTW-- I do have a theory on springback if anybody is interested.
(02-18-2018, 08:26 AM)GlenS Wrote: BTW-- I do have a theory on springback if anybody is interested.

Springback blows?
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(02-18-2018, 08:26 AM)GlenS Wrote: OK. I have the base all glued up. The top needs some edge jointing & it's ready to glue up.

Once the glue was cleaned up & the edges were milled smooth on the apron I found a couple voids that were on the bottom. Nothing serious maybe? As usual,, all thoughts & opinions are Welcome!!

Longest & 1/32" gap.
[Image: 20180217_170118_zpsgqwvpedc.jpg]

Most disturbing since it's on the face veneer.

All but 3 spots look like this.

A bunch of sanding. LOL

BTW-- I do have a theory on springback if anybody is interested.

Lookin good. I've had worse, when the glue was setting too fast and not enough hands or enough clamps in the right/wrong places.

I normally blow the dust out of those holes, and fill with your same glue.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Redman-- im sure it does. This is my 1st bent glueup and altho i reported 1/4" springback i quickly realized i wouldnt get back to this project for a day. Turns out it was a couple days. In realizing this i cut a board to the length across the back of the form with 4° angles to fit the curve. I wrapped a band clamp around it & put a bar clamp on. Then let it set til i got back to it. No springback when i removed the clamps this time. I wonder if glued bent lams need more like 72hrs on the form. I used just under 1/2 bottle of TB Ext glue on this thing. To me thats a LOT of glue.

Any thoughts ideas or speculations?
Stwood. Thanks for the tip!! Ill have to do that!!
Quick pic of the top. I'm impressed with this horse stall Cherry.

[Image: 20180219_194930_zpshjgsfg2b.jpg]

Top still needs routed & it's still too deep in this pic. I trimmed it back to juuust in front of that small knot. Just couldn't resist setting it on the base for a quick table selfie. lol
[Image: 20180219_195552_zpsmzfrpqty.jpg]
(02-21-2018, 07:25 AM)GlenS Wrote: Quick pic of the top. I'm impressed with this horse stall Cherry.

Top still needs routed & it's still too deep in this pic. I trimmed it back to juuust in front of that small knot. Just couldn't resist setting it on the base for a quick table selfie. lol

Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020