PM-V11 steel?
Hello all,

I hope this doesn't start a heated argument but I'm curious about folks experience with this newer steel.

I am trying very hard to spend more time in the shop than I have the last few years. My job certainly keeps me busy.
Also, the vast majority of my planes are from Veritas as I love their tools.  But I acquired most of them before this new steel came out.

Now free shipping is again being offered and I'm wondering what your thoughts are about getting a blade or two for some of my specialty planes.

I have some PMV 11 for my bevel up planes but I haven't done too much to compare them to my A2 blades.

I'm mainly thinking about getting a PMV 11 blade for my scrub plane, pullshave, and low-angle spokeshave.  I've got a lot of shaping work coming in the near future.

Is it worth spending the, limited, money to upgrade these blades?

Thoughts?
Peter

My "day job"
I love the PMV 11 steel that I have... but I wouldn't disregard a perfectly fine blade to "upgrade" to it.  In my opinion it's not worth that.

Buying a new plane, I would choose it over A2.
(02-14-2018, 02:01 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I hope this doesn't start a heated argument but I'm curious about folks experience with this newer steel.

I am trying very hard to spend more time in the shop than I have the last few years. My job certainly keeps me busy.
Also, the vast majority of my planes are from Veritas as I love their tools.  But I acquired most of them before this new steel came out.

Now free shipping is again being offered and I'm wondering what your thoughts are about getting a blade or two for some of my specialty planes.

I have some PMV 11 for my bevel up planes but I haven't done too much to compare them to my A2 blades.

I'm mainly thinking about getting a PMV 11 blade for my scrub plane, pullshave, and low-angle spokeshave.  I've got a lot of shaping work coming in the near future.

Is it worth spending the, limited, money to upgrade these blades?

Thoughts?

No, it is not

If you think you need to spend money, look into a few hand-stitched rasps.  A good rasp or two goes well with a spokeshave when it comes to shaping curve.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I love it also and for new edge tools would give preference to it. But as said, I would not swap out another perfectly acceptable blade.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-14-2018, 03:11 PM)Rob Young Wrote: No, it is not

If you think you need to spend money, look into a few hand-stitched rasps.  A good rasp or two goes well with a spokeshave when it comes to shaping curve.

There is a woodnetter who made sure, many years ago, that I have a comprehensive set of NOS rasps. 
Yes

I love them and use them on every project.
Peter

My "day job"
(02-14-2018, 04:15 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: There is a woodnetter who made sure, many years ago, that I have a comprehensive set of NOS rasps. 
Yes

I love them and use them on every project.

Yes Good!  You are all set!
Smile
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Peter, I'd totally skip any upgrade for your scrub plane.  It's a coarse tool and PM-V11 won't really make a difference.  If you have the disposable income to upgrade your spokeshave, that's where I think an upgrade might make a difference.  I don't think you'll notice much of a difference with a pullshave either, since it's really not a "fine" tool.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-15-2018, 03:05 PM)AHill Wrote: Peter, I'd totally skip any upgrade for your scrub plane.  It's a coarse tool and PM-V11 won't really make a difference.  If you have the disposable income to upgrade your spokeshave, that's where I think an upgrade might make a difference.  I don't think you'll notice much of a difference with a pullshave either, since it's really not a "fine" tool.

Thanks for that input.

That is helpful.

It's funny, I've been working with handtools for so long but I've never really paid much attention to the steel that I was using and the nuances of edge retention.

If it's dull I sharpened it.  If I used it I stropped it.

I never really needed to pay much attention
Peter

My "day job"
(02-15-2018, 03:11 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Thanks for that input.

That is helpful.

It's funny, I've been working with handtools for so long but I've never really paid much attention to the steel that I was using and the nuances of edge retention.

If it's dull I sharpened it.  If I used it I stropped it.

I never really needed to pay much attention

Besides the cost of the blade will you need to upgrade your sharpening setup to handle the much harder steel?  Just a thought.

Lonnie
(02-15-2018, 06:32 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Besides the cost of the blade will you need to upgrade your sharpening setup to handle the much harder steel?  Just a thought.

Lonnie
I use PMV-11, O1 and A2 blades in both chisels and planes. I use the same sharpening stones for all of them (Shapton and Norton water stones in 1000 and 8000 grit) They all take about the same time and effort to sharpen. When sharp they all seem to cut equally well. Mostly cherry and walnut. However I tend to use the PMV-11 steel more than the others because they stay sharp longer.