Trying to learn about rasps
I own a couple of rasps that I occasionally use on projects. The several I have were picked up at flea markets and I have no idea of their quality. I'd like to get some decent quality rasps but don't know where to start. When I started with planes I got a Stanley #4 and a block plane. After learning how to use these planes it became easy to select planes I wanted  to add to my tool kit. If I were to purchase say two new rasps what should I consider? From your experience can you recommend a decent quality rasp a beginner should consider?
Let’s see what your rasps that you own and be ready to send them to Boggs.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
I sent several rasps to Boggs Tools a few years ago. They were all sharpened but several were marked with a red mark indicating that they had reached the end of their usefulness. That is why I want to obtain a new rasp or two that is ready to use.
(02-14-2018, 08:33 PM)JSpill Wrote: I sent several rasps to Boggs Tools a few years ago. They were all sharpened but several were marked with a red mark indicating that they had reached the end of their usefulness. That is why I want to obtain a new rasp or two that is ready to use.

Can't go wrong with Auriou Rasps... I love mine.
Still need to see what you have to give you my take. Are you going to do small stuff like handles or big curves in a Maloof rocker?

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
(02-14-2018, 09:08 PM)Slav Jelesijevich Wrote: Still need to see what you have to give you my take.   Are you going to do small stuff like handles or big curves in a Maloof rocker?

Slav

Mostly small stuff like tool handles. Also clock moldings. Not long items like chair legs. I'd love to make a Maloof rocker but it's beyond my skill set.
You can do a Maloof style rocker no problem, just having the right tools. What is your budget? If your doing small stuff spread you money and get a variety of rasps and Files. They made rasps from 6” to 16”, even the Files from Boggs that are rejected will still cut. Familarize yourself with the Lee valley has a good selection of smaller stuff. What your saying stay with 6”-8”-10” rasps. LV has 6” in Cabinet and half rounds. All comes down to the cash, I can keep going.

Slav
In order of quality (and just about by price as well).  There are other rasps out there, but here's my take on the more popular ones.  I have all of them except Dragon in my shop.

Auriou - The gold standard for rasps.  Hand stitched in France.  Sharpest and best rasps out there.  You won't get a smoother finish with any other rasp.

Liogier - Also made in France.  Some former employees of Auriou work for Liogier.  If Aurious are a "10", Liogier is "9.5".

Gramercy - Stainless steel, make in Pakistan.  Decent rasps.  Mostly for finer work.  Their saw maker's rasp is essential is you make saw handles.  I rate them about 7.5.

Dragon Rasps - I have not used them, but they get very good reviews.  Maybe your best bang for the buck, if price is a consideration.

US Made Nicholson - The current ones aren't worth buying.  US-made (see Slav) are very good value for the money.  Machine made, but sharp.  I would rate them 7.0.

Iwasaki - Not a rasp, per se, but a mill toothed file.  Made in Japan.  Very, very sharp.  A bit grabby for small work.  Great for things like plane making.  I would also rate them a 7.0, but only because they really aren't rasps.  For what they do (e.g. using them for a plane float), I'd rate them a 9.0.

For what you want to do, Grain 10 (medium-fine) to Grain 14 (fine) is recommended.  "Grain" is how Auriou and Liogier classify their rasps.  For fine work, buy an 6-8" rasp.  Stay away from the really large ones.  They won't work well for smaller things.  You want a smaller rasp because it'll be able to get into smaller radii.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm gonna put my love of Corradi out there. They are CNC stitched with a pattern that doesn't leave lines. So this gives them the consistency of a machine stitch, but the quality of cut & lack of distinct lines from a set pattern. The pics below were all worked with Corradi rasps + minimal card scraper, that's it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWnfAnGlZIn/...ckenbushww

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTgUvXHlm0C/...ckenbushww

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSUwjF5Fdef/...ckenbushww

USA
www.corradishop.com
www.ebay.com/usr/corradishop

Europe
http://www.rma-tools.com/
Guys, thank you so much for the info. Now I know what I should most likely get for the kind of work I do. Lee Valley and Tools for Working Wood are favorite stores of mine. Since I live close to Lee Valley I think I will go there first. Also, I think Boggs Tools sells new and reconditioned rasps. Perhaps a phone call to them is in order.