Drum sander grits
I too have a dual drum sander, that I changed to alumina zirconia paper, with 100 in the front and 150 in the back. Certain woods are always prone to burning, but best defense is slow speeds and very light cuts. The machine is a General 25" and I've had it about 4 years. Superb machine.

I also have a Jet Performax 16/32. Again, an excellent machine, with a single drum. I use Jet paper, 120 grit and again slow feed and the slightest cuts.

These are not planers or dimensioning machines.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sandi...jsu337mvo3
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
On a related note, does anyone have preferences for the grit on a stationary belt sander? I have an old Walker Turner that I need to get a couple for and my old ones seem a little too smooth for my liking. I think they are 220 grit.

Thanks for the opinions.
I keep 120 on my stationary and I rarely change it because It’s typically not worth the time being I don’t use it much.

On my belt/disc sander I use a coarse belt (50-60) for rough shaping and a 80-100 disc.
Wood is good. 
I have the grizzly 24" duel drum sander and on the front I use either 60g or 80g and the back is always 150.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you’ve got 120 on the second drum and you’re getting scratches that don’t seem appropriate for 120, or if they’re just to deep, you might need to adjust the height of the second drum.

PM me if that doesn’t make sense. 120 should be just fine, but depth of cut on both drums, grit, and feed rate all factor into the finish. I’ve got the same sander and don’t have any issues.

David
(02-14-2018, 06:01 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Tell me your drum sander grit preferences for different types of work you do.  I recently purchased a lightly used, 6 y/o, Supermax 37x2 dual drum and dual post sander.  It has 80/120 on it and boy will it leave some scratches.  Nonetheless, it’s a beast with the true 5 HP Lesson.

!20 in mine all the time. I think anything finer burns too easy.

RobertM
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin