Why Teach Woodworking?
Hi Everyone, quick backstory, I have been a woodworking and engineering teacher for the last 11 years and loved it.  This year, I changed jobs to a different school and left behind a great shop and teaching schedule.  We made the move to be closer to family.  I now teach mostly engineering and manufacturing (welding, machine shop, sheet metal).  It is not the same as woods.  Recently, an opportunity came to teach at a career center in an engineering program.  Problem is, it would only be half day.  However, I started thinking that this career center and the students in the area would benefit greatly from a full scale woodworking (furniture and cabinetry) program.  Allowing me to teach engineering half the day and woods the other half.  I started drafting a proposal for the principal of the center on the benefits of a solid woodworking program.  However, most career centers thrive on the ability to say students are ready for work in such and such a field.  I do not know the need for students in wood manufacturing and which careers truly exist for students with these skill sets.  So, I ask, why teach woodworking.........from all the experience on this forum, what will a student gain from developing skills in woodworking and what careers are possible from learning woodworking?

Also, I would plan on teaching CNC, which no matter the material has practical applications in many areas of industry.  I also hold many personal beliefs about the impact woodworking has had on me personally, and knowing that I only wish I was introduced to it earlier in life.  Please share and I thank you for your comments.
There are those who know a lot more about this than I do. While teaching woodworking would set someone up for a nice hobby, but a real struggle (in most cases) to make a living at it. There are exceptions to everything; but I certainly would not advise anyone to select woodworking as a vocation. Just my opinion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-15-2018, 11:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: There are those who know a lot more about this than I do. While teaching woodworking would set someone up for a nice hobby, but a real struggle (in most cases) to make a living at it. There are exceptions to everything; but I certainly would not advise anyone to select woodworking as a vocation. Just my opinion.
But, what skill sets can be developed in learning woodworking that allow someone to have skills and characteristics to pursue other careers?
(02-15-2018, 11:13 AM)cjbyrne7 Wrote:  what will a student gain from developing skills in woodworking and what careers are possible from learning woodworking?

The skills learned carry over into many careers and life in general. Safety around tools / equipment is number one. The ability to read a tape measure and prints is an overlooked skill. General knowledge of developing a plan and taking the proper steps during a project. Seeing a project through completion. Those are a few things off the top of my head.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(02-15-2018, 11:53 AM)CLETUS Wrote: The skills learned carry over into many careers and life in general. Safety around tools / equipment is number one. The ability to read a tape measure and prints is an overlooked skill. General knowledge of developing a plan and taking the proper steps during a project. Seeing a project through completion. Those are a few things off the top of my head.

"Teaching" has very little to do with content.  It is about mentoring and reaching kids.  Use whatever media inspires you to get that done.
(02-15-2018, 11:49 AM)cjbyrne7 Wrote: But, what skill sets can be developed in learning woodworking that allow someone to have skills and characteristics to pursue other careers?

None that can't be learned in other disciplines. Cletus mentioned tool safety, reading a tape measure, and planning, non ei disagree with. But reading prints is not something I would expect to see in a WWing class.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-15-2018, 12:45 PM)fredhargis Wrote:  But reading prints is not something I would expect to see in a WWing class.

Real basic prints.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I think it depends on what ages you are teaching. The benefits everyone is mentioning are very true and will hold water in the high school setting. A high school education is about creating a well-rounded individual and some of the benefits mentioned contribute to that goal. Depending on the age of students in the career center, this philosophy may or may not apply. In the career oriented college in my city, there is a building technology program. It's mostly about constructing a house with some small furniture making projects peppered throughout. The fact of the matter is that a very small percentage of people will ever need to know, let alone care about, what a mortise and tenon joint is or how to cut dovetails. Unless you can fine a place like N Bennet St school or College of the Redwoods where woodworking is a focus, chances are you will be teaching the very basics of furniture making and sticking mostly to construction techniques and computer driven technologies like CNC.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
First off, as a professional educator, I am passionate about education...

But here's the bottom line. If you are wanting to teach woodworking just so kids can learn the skill... you'll have a short and unrewarding experience....

If however, you are using the vehicle of woodworking to teach young people how to solve problems, how to gain self confidence, how to communicate, and how to act maturely, then you'll be on the right track.

I don't really understand your initial question though.
Teach building trades. Lots of jobs to be had there