Why Teach Woodworking?
(02-19-2018, 07:35 PM)AgGEM Wrote: But I can tell you that choir builds teamwork skills and friendships that last beyond childhood. And the desire to strive for excellence, which carries on too.
I think at least one semester of home economics should be a requirement for graduation. Everyone needs to know how to get by..

Ag

I was a shop foreman in a ten person wood shop. When hiring people, I looked for people that knew how to arrive on time, and sober; get along with other people, and be able to listen and learn. Teaching a person woodworking was nothing compared to teaching cooperation. I could teach a person how to run a molder, but I couldn't ever teach anyone how to get along with another person. It's easier to learn on the job when people get along.
my kids took "tech ed" which spans everything from robots to metal working to woodworking.  I assume from the OP's use of the word "engineering" he is not in the U.S.  Not sure what countries that call machinists "engineers" call us engineers, but our mechanical engineering shop has woodworking tools.  Lots of call for woodworking in a lot of diverse trades and careers.
After 40 years in the education business (high school shop teacher, Guidance Counselor, and administrator in an Area Career Center) here are my insights for what they are worth:

In the state of Indiana:

In order to qualify for federal funds to start a "new" Career Tech program, the school (or potential teacher) must provide specific numbers of job possibilities (from federal job numbers), of the proposed class subject, in the catchment area of that particular Career Center.  If the subject area, in this case woodworking, does not appear in the "high job growth potential" funds will not be coming to the school.  Starting a new program without federal funds is almost impossible.  Usually there are not enough local funds available.

This can be aggravating, but it makes fiscal sense,  There is no reason to add any program that will not result in it's completors getting a job in that particular field. 

I don't feel good about the state of woodworking being taught in our public schools.  Most, if not all, of the high schools in Indiana have eliminated the traditional woodworking classes from their curriculum.  Right now I can't think of any of the Area Career Centers that offer any type of woodworking (expect Building Trades).

I know this have been cussed and discussed on all woodworking forums.  Maybe someday appreciation of solid wood, proven assembly techniques, and quality finished furniture will return.  I guess, until then,  I will keep encouraging my grandsons by modeling this appreciation and sharing my skills with them.  I think we need to cultivate another generation to value these things we all have cherished.
(02-15-2018, 04:01 PM)WilliamHodge Wrote: Talk to local wood product manufactures. Depending on location, the markets vary. There should be placements for people you train, and a place to do internships.

In any location, building and selling custom furniture requires marketing skills similar to selling artwork. The building trades are an easier way to sell stuff, and make money. People get loans to build buildings, and building projects can be required to maintain or increase the value of a property.

The best classes I took to become a professional woodworker were Mechanical Drawing, in 8th grade in 1973; and college level economics. I learned that wealth is created by adding value to a raw material. I chose wood. I buy it for about $5.00 a board foot, and sell it for $250. a board foot, after I cut it up and put it back together again. If that value added part is missing from your curriculum, don't bother.

The skills a student can gain can be artistic ability, like at North Bennet Street School, or they can learn a trade to make a living.

I like this.  I would also add Marketing to it as well.  You will have to learn how to buy material, build it, and then how and to whom to sell it to.  If a person can do this wood working he can do it anywhere.  Also not only buying the material, but will it work with the project and will they get their money back from the project.  You can also teach wood turning which is a money maker to students learning which is another woodworking way.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
There are definitely careers in woodworking. Some of them include custom cabinets, trim carpentry, wood flooring, and repair. Down here we have a lot of wooden houses, and it takes some skill to, say, replace a rotted window sash on a historic house. There are very few people with the skills and materials to do it, though.

I've often thought that one could make a decent living on furniture repair, too. So many people have heirloom furniture that's sustained damage over the years and needs a little work to be made fully functional again. I've done a little bit of it here and there for friends, but I've already got a career. Plus, I really don't enjoy repair work. But in our small city, I think there would be enough furniture repair work to keep one or two people employed full-time.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
As well as simply the traditional woodworking as we think of it, teaching "tech-ed" or whatever you want to call it has to be useful. That can include using wood, metal, composites, 3D printing, electornics etc. 

NZ is a small country in the middle of nowhere, yet is has some pretty high tech manufacturing and design. Reason is we value being able to design and build things that you can't just buy off the shelf. Things like the Americas Cup racing yachts, and NZ has an actual working space program. OK one successful satellite launch so far, but the rockets are locally designed and built, using carbon fibre and 3D printed engine parts. They aren't as fancy as Elon Musks, but they are very cost effective for small payloads. Another niche industry is rebuilding old aircraft. Assuming you have a fat enough wallet you can order a Brand New Sopwith or Fokker WW1 fighter, all "genuine" reverse engineered, and certified to fly. It's not like they are high tech, they are 1910s technology after all. But it's the idea that you could look at an old set of plans and replicate the machine, using some more modern materials, that counts. But to do that you need workers that can actually build stuff from wood / metal / fabric etc. You can't order parts for a 1918 aircraft engine online, you have to make them. 

OK, technically that's not true any more. You CAN order that stuff, and it will be custom built in a small workshop in NZ. 

That's what you get from still teaching "Materials Technology". The IDEA that you can still build (or rebuild) things, rather than saying "where can I buy one of those". 

And yes I have replaced rotted out window sills in my house, with wood from a tree that I cut down myself. I don't expect a school class to go that far, but it opens students up to the idea that it's possible.
Hmm

I hope the poster is reading this since he has not been back in a few weeks.  Lots of good stuff here.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Agreeing with what's been posted, I believe cooperation amongst the class is important. Working together is very important.

Dependin' on the part of the country you're in, & the amount of building that's goin' on in the area, would stand to reason the chance of makin' of a living in the building trade. There are far more other wood subjects to look at.

I've built houses myself. That is part of how my interest in woodworking got started. And my bride & Sawbones thought I needed a hobby.
Wink Being self taught in the other parts of woodworking I've learned come from reading every book about the wood tools, wood, finishing, joinery, the list goes on. I just kept readin' & learnin'.

Bein' in the trucking business all my life, I'd never been around wood, the tools, none of it. So it has been 26 years of learning with every project. I learned to master the scroll saw myself. As well as most all the other tools we own. I think that teachin' the ability to stop & think, ask questions, work together, and move forward as capabilities allow.

As I said before, admit it. The wood worker is a diein' breed. Our skills & talents will go to our graves with us if we don't teach the ones that are willing to learn! I think the op is on the right trail, his ideas may need to conform to what his class does & doesn't know.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
It's been mentioned above, but I'll pile on as I believe it's core to the offer and the most compelling aspect of the "why teach" and "what value is there in it" questions you're asking.

Practical application of logic and problem solving thinking. Like puzzles activate and exercise parts of our brain, woodworking is a nearly constant exercise in problem solving and creative thinking. Even if it's just wood movement or moisture content and finishing challenges a woodworker must consider many factors. The two marry up and provide perhaps the most visceral and visual application of geometry I believe I experienced at any point up to that moment in my schooling.

I had plastics, wood, and metal working by the end of my 8th grade year and it was formative and valuable for many reasons. Granted, I work in tech today, but I attribute many key learnings to those courses and how I view and solve problems today.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
An old high school friend that has his own rather large custom woodworking shop is currently advertising a job for someone with woodworking skills. His website http://www.mountainviewmillworks.com/Uni...ojects.php if you want to see some massive works he builds and installs for churches. Starting pay is based on skill level. Thats one reason why you should teach woodworking.

My son works at a high end cabinet shop. He runs a CNC machine to cut European style cabinet parts. New hires are usually unskilled and require a lot of training to perform the required tasks. Another reason to teach woodworking.