Will this window framing idea work?

Planning the new house.  Several years ago I happened upon a surplus auction for the hospital and came home with 9 of their big insulated windows -- 3'6" x 4'6" -- for $1 each IIRC
Big Grin

Now we're going to use them.  I'm concerned that the folks who have to "approve" my plans will question the strength of the wall since it's not "standard".

The above is a section of the wall I'm designing.

Hoping someone in the brain trust here can make some educated comments on the idea.

There will be four of these units, separated by the 2x6, 2x8 columns.

Any guidance out there
Confused
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I am not an expert, but everyone has an opinion

I think you need to beef up the header, and include jack studs for both the header and window sill plate

Are these going to be interior or exterior windows.  If they are in a load bearing wall you will need a header sized for the opening
Yes, exterior wall.

What size header do I need?

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(02-15-2018, 06:15 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Are these going to be interior or exterior windows.  If they are in a load bearing wall you will need a header sized for the opening

Right, I don't understand the reasoning for eliminating it?
fine homebuilding had an article about saving wood, and it talked about headers.  They pointed out that the rim joists can be made to work as headers. Not sure how hard it would be to find that article.
(02-15-2018, 06:21 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Right, I don't understand the reasoning for eliminating it?

Didn't eliminate, just haven't drawn it yet
Winkgrin

Would 3-2x10 be big enough?

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(02-15-2018, 06:17 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Yes, exterior wall.

What size header do I need?

Everything I learned about framing, I learned from Larry Haun. If he doesn't do it, I don't do it. A wizard with a hammer. He's on YouTube doing videos for Fine Homebuilding. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one with him framing a window.

Here's a good video  on window framing basics.

Look up local codes for spans and header sizes. It's probably on the county website.

Larry Haun has a good book "Homebuilding Basics Carpentry".  Anybody with a hammer should own it. Here
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-15-2018, 06:38 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Would 2x10 be big enough?

probably doubled 2 by 10. gonna have to check local codes,though. might only need 2 by 8 doubled.
Basic header

Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay