small area help
Quote:I have a right angle attachment, but still to big w/drill bit.

You don't say how much room you do have for the bit. Have you ever used a nail for a drill bit. For small diameters it works fine.  Find a nail the right diameter and cut it to the length you need for the chuck to hold it, get it into your 6" space, and drill the pilot hole to the needed depth. If you still don't have enough space, try cutting the hail to a length that will go all the way into the chuck, but protrude only the amount that will allow the drill and nail to fit into the opening. Drill the hole to what ever depth the exposed bit (or nail) will go. Don't pull the bit out. Leaving it in place, loosen the chuck and re-position it to expose more bit (nail). Tighten the chuck and drill the hole deeper. Do it again if needed.

Another thought is to use a self tapping screw to cut the screw hole and then switch to the finish screw. You may have to do this by hand with a stubby screw driver.

Good luck
(02-16-2018, 10:45 AM)Cooler Wrote: Get a small length of 1" diameter dowel--maybe two inches long.  

Drill a hole lengthwise the same as the diameter of the drill bit you want to use.  Insert the bit into the hole so just enough of the cutting end protrudes.  Cross drill for a wood screw to keep the drill bit from twisting in the dowel.

Use a nail to mark the center of the hole, and finger twist the bit until the hole is to the required depth.  This will be slow going, but the pilot holes are small diameter and short, and you only have two holes to drill. 

I made a similar one for a 5mm bit to clean out shelf pin holes drilled and then slightly filled with finish.  Slow going but easy work.

I  have a General pin vise, but that is going to be too big for this too.  So make your own.
Cooler; you don't understand what I'm doing, I'm trying to drill piolet holes on the inside edge of the face frame w/only 6" space. But I finally got it figured out.
Jim
(02-17-2018, 07:53 AM)Admiral Wrote: Sacrifice a bit and cut it down perhaps?

When the light came on that's exactly what I did. Worked great. Thanks everyone.
Jim
A gimlet perhaps.
www.highlandwoodworking.com/augergimletset.aspx