RBI Hawk Model 214 bottom blade holder
The retirement community wood shop where I am volunteering has an RBI/Hawk model 214 scrollsaw. The table tilting mechanism is a little stiff from non use but all parts appear to be present.

I haven't used one of these saw before so I had to look at the manual to figure out how to install the lower blade. Apparently you take out the lower blade holder and install the blade in that assembly and then hold it in position while guiding the blade into the upper holder and tightening that screw.

This worked until the blade came loose from the lower assembly (probably caused by me not securing the blade). The result was the lower blade holder assembly went flying across the room. Is this normal or are we missing a part that secures the lower blade holder assembly in place ? There is a flat spring that may be too loose to hold the blade holder and it just needs to be bent back into shape.

Also the lower blade holder has a bronze sleeve around it with a hole drilled in it to allow the blade to pass through. This sleeve does not appear in the parts list but I did find a reference on a scrollsawing site that mentioned this as a user upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Here you go:  http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/file...el_214.pdf
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
So, did you find the errant bladeholder? In any case, mine hasn't flown out like that but I'm guessing you're correct about bending that spring (or maybe replacing it altogether) to make it somewhat more secure. Don't know what that bronze sleeve might be, I have don't have it on my saw...but it may well be a model variance.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-16-2018, 11:28 AM)wjt Wrote: The retirement community wood shop where I am volunteering has an RBI/Hawk model 214 scrollsaw. The table tilting mechanism is a little stiff from non use but all parts appear to be present.

I haven't used one of these saw before so I had to look at the manual to figure out how to install the lower blade. Apparently you take out the lower blade holder and install the blade in that assembly and then hold it in position while guiding the blade into the upper holder and tightening that screw.

This worked until the blade came loose from the lower assembly (probably caused by me not securing the blade). The result was the lower blade holder assembly went flying across the room. Is this normal or are we missing a part that secures the lower blade holder assembly in place ? There is a flat spring that may be too loose to hold the blade holder and it just needs to be bent back into shape.

Also the lower blade holder has a bronze sleeve around it with a hole drilled in it to allow the blade to pass through. This sleeve does not appear in the parts list but I did find a reference on a scrollsawing site that mentioned this as a user upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

It looks like part 38 on the diagram needs to be bent back or replaced. I have a 226 I believe from that era as well as a 220 from about the late 90's. I was able to get replacement parts from them a couple years back for the older 226 that I picked up at a used car lot, but that's another story.

Eric
A dull tool is a sign of a dull mind.
(02-25-2018, 09:19 PM)ericspaw Wrote: It looks like part 38 on the diagram needs to be bent back or replaced. I have a 226 I believe from that era as well as a 220 from about the late 90's. I was able to get replacement parts from them a couple years back for the older 226 that I picked up at a used car lot, but that's another story.

Eric

Eric:

Thanks for the suggestion. Part # 38 on this saw is metal and not a spring but a solid piece of 1/8" steel.

I called Hawk Woodworking in Bushton, KS and spoke with their customer service rep who was knowledgeable and an accomplished scrollsawer. She did mention an upgrade that several of their customers who own this saw have implemented. They paint the lower blade holder a bright neon green or red so that when it does goes flying into a remote corner of the shop or perhaps gets sucked into your vacuum's pile of sawdust it is easier to locate.

Bill