Electric Drain Auger
I'm tired of calling a plumber every time my shower or bathroom sink gets clogged.  I'm looking to invest in a decent electric auger.

Can anyone make a good recommendation?
(02-16-2018, 01:07 PM)Ravenswood Chicago Wrote: I'm tired of calling a plumber every time my shower or bathroom sink gets clogged.  I'm looking to invest in a decent electric auger.

Can anyone make a good recommendation?

The only issues I have with the bathroom sink and shower clogging is because of my wife and daughters hair. You don't need an auger, you need a piece of wire with a hook bent in it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(02-16-2018, 01:23 PM)CLETUS Wrote: The only issues I have with the bathroom sink and shower clogging is because of my wife and daughters hair. You don't need an auger, you need a piece of wire with a hook bent in it.

[Image: 5a931fb3-6e65-49f9-89d0-c1fca227046a_1.e...nBg=FFFFFF]These plastic things work great on hair if that is the problem.     Roly
Most of the time I use a garden hose on sink and shower drains. You need a 2-foot length of hose, a female hose end and a shut-off valve. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-01F-Nylon...nds+female

https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-03V-Garde...0M8EMRMS1B

Push the hose down into the drain as far as it will go. Wrap a wash cloth tightly around the hose where it enters the drain.
My house was built in 1953.  It has 2" steel drain pipes.  I was told when I bought the house that I would eventually have to replace the pipes with new pipes and apparently the 2" diameter is no longer to code.  

I have not done it yet, but sometimes my shower drains slow and I might have to do it some time soon.  I think it is a big job.

I don't know what effect the powered snakes have on pipes with walls rusted thin.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-16-2018, 02:48 PM)Cooler Wrote: My house was built in 1953.  It has 2" steel drain pipes.  I was told when I bought the house that I would eventually have to replace the pipes with new pipes and apparently the 2" diameter is no longer to code.  

I have not done it yet, but sometimes my shower drains slow and I might have to do it some time soon.  I think it is a big job.

I don't know what effect the powered snakes have on pipes with walls rusted thin.

If they are galvanized pipe I wouldn't worry about it being too thin. What happens is that it catches all the crap and chokes down in size just like vast iron pipe does but way worse.
(02-16-2018, 02:48 PM)Cooler Wrote: My house was built in 1953.  It has 2" steel drain pipes.  I was told when I bought the house that I would eventually have to replace the pipes with new pipes and apparently the 2" diameter is no longer to code.  

I wouldn't use an electric auger on your pipes I have had too many occasions where an auger blows out galvanized pipe .  Sure what he said about the pipe being thicker in some spots can happen but more often than not the seam on the pipe is thin and the auger can cause pin holes or complete failure.  If you have pipe you trust I have a Rigid K39 that does well on the smaller pipe it looks a lot like this just an older version

[Image: Z3-CJ-fo5oy.JPG]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

A manual drain auger will do everything an electric auger will do. Plumbers use the electric ones because time is money and they're cleaning drains every day. I have a manual Erickson Comet but there are cheaper ones available. The Erickson is all metal and heavy duty.

https://www.draincables.com/category/152

http://www.ericksondraincleaner.com
I have one that can be used manually or attached to a cordless drill.
(02-21-2018, 05:50 PM)WoodCzech Wrote: I have one that can be used manually or attached to a cordless drill.

These drain bladders are the bomb diggity.  Looks like a gimmick, but works a treat.  
Yes

drain bladder