Bombe Slant Front Desk
(03-10-2018, 09:21 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Thanks, Jerry.

Actually that is the one consistent thing that I have seen is that the loopers always have had face grain on the ends.  

I just don't know if I had ever seen the face grain oriented this way.

The pictures that I have seen have always had the face grain running parallel to the carcass sides and not the drawer front.

Here's an example

i see where that would be stronger than having the short face grain, but it would be nice to have the grain match the drawer
I am glad you are able to bring back this thread. Probably speaking for
most here.

Still have that gorgeous tool chest too!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(03-10-2018, 12:39 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: I am glad you are able to bring back this thread. Probably speaking for
most here.

Still have that gorgeous tool chest too!!

I do!

When I'm finished with the Bombe I'm going to complete the tool chest by adding a cabinet on top for my most used handtools.
Peter

My "day job"
Once all of the drawer fronts have been fit inside the carcass curves the next step is to carve the fronts to match the front profile shape.

To get the shape of the carcass on the sides of the drawer front I traced the profile with an offset wheel.

Or you could just trace the shape directly from the case.

Once I have the shape traced I pared down the ends to the line with a chisel.
This will allow me to take very thick cuts with a scrub and jack plane without a worry for chip out on the end.

Then it's just a matter of time with a few planes to get this to shape.

The third and fourth drawer fronts are convex in shape.

The second drawer front needed a concave shape so that required the use of a pullshave.
Peter

My "day job"
Glad to see this build back up and running. I had wondered what happened to it!

Following along now...
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
After getting the front profile curve carved the next step is to carve the serpentine "wave"

Trace the shape of the serpentine based on the curve of the drawer dividers.

Mark the outside edges of the serpentine waves.

Then I used the patter which was created to first fit the drawer front to then help trace a limit mark for the serpentine wave.

Then I traced the curves on the top and the bottom of each drawer front from the dividers.

The last step is to outline the shape of the top of the serpentine.  

The pencil lines are hard to see on the walnut but this is the outline of the carving.

Next, lots of carving with these tools and some rasps, files, and card scrapers.

Peter

My "day job"
Peter
Looking real good,as others have said,good to see you back working on it and keep the pics coming.Beautiful work.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Soooo far beyond my skill set!! Gonna be a beauty when it's done!!
(03-13-2018, 07:15 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Peter
  Looking real good,as others have said,good to see you back working on it and keep the pics coming.Beautiful work.

Mel

Thanks,

I will!  These pics are finally coming to you in "real time"

This is how far I am as of yesterday.

The next few weeks will be very busy for me.  I'm leading a group on a spring break service trip, next week, to an orphanage in Jamaica, then Holy Week, Easter, and finally my schedule should settle down a bit.

I know that the next step of carving the serpentine shape is something that I'm going to do slowly and cautiously.
Peter

My "day job"
My hat's off to you for sticking with this project, through all of the delays and obstacles.  I'm sure that will make it doubly rewarding when you finish it. 

Thanks for resuming the build along thread.  I'm enjoying it very much.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?