Table repair
Here's another thought.

Try putting several clamps, with padding, across the joint and try pulling it together.
If you can successfully pull the joint sufficiently tight I'd try mixing up some epoxy and re-glueing with clamps.

Best case the joint closes up and stays together and you've only invested a small amount of time and effort and avoided a major project.

Worst case you always have the option as others have said to rip and re-glue and most likely refinish.
Big project, but it would be my preferred course of action.
(02-18-2018, 04:14 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Here's another thought.

Try putting several clamps, with padding, across the joint and try pulling it together.
If you can successfully pull the joint sufficiently tight I'd try mixing up some epoxy and re-glueing with clamps.

Best case the joint closes up and stays together and you've only invested a small amount of time and effort and avoided a major project.

Worst case you always have the option as others have said to rip and re-glue and most likely refinish.
Big project, but it would be my preferred course of action.

+1 and I'll add, try to clean out the crack all the way through with something thin, maybe a coping saw blade, hand held. Take the blade and hammer flat the set in the teeth.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Looks like a failed glue joint. Its too straight to be wood splitting in my limited opinion. I would think the edges would need cleaned for the new glue to stick.
Not much to offer - little experience - but if clamping brings the glue joint failure together, then the suggestions given would seem to offer a solution w/ the caveat of presumably re-finishing the entire surface of that LARGE table - also, I'm assuming from the grain pattern that the glue crack is along the long length of the table?

Another thought is that if the clamping brings the split together, would some type of fastening from the undersurface of the table even be a consideration?  I'm thinking Kreg jig screws, metal flat bracing, or some other similar item(s)?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(02-18-2018, 07:54 PM)GlenS Wrote: Looks like a failed glue joint. Its too straight to be wood splitting in my limited opinion. I would think the edges would need cleaned for the new glue to stick.

^^^This.  And don't squeeze quite as hard when clamping the joint this time.  

Be nice to locate the source of the stress.  Table moved over a heat or AC duct would dry things more. Or subjected to direct sunlight.  What's changed?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-19-2018, 05:33 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: ^^^This.  And don't squeeze quite as hard when clamping the joint this time.  

Be nice to locate the source of the stress.  Table moved over a heat or AC duct would dry things more. Or subjected to direct sunlight.  What's changed?

Nothing has changed as to location.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to look at it in a couple weeks.